This apple walnut salad with dijon vinaigrette is a great way to enjoy apples in a savory dish when you have gotten your fill of apple crisp and pie. Not only is it delicious, but it is packed with fiber and antioxidants.
Although the cooler fall temperatures usually have me craving comfort food dishes like this four bean chili or my vegan pumpkin chocolate chip muffins, I can’t get enough of this salad! I love switching up my salad greens as the weather cools for heartier ones like kale. Roasted vegetables like the butternut squash in this apple walnut salad are also a staple in my fall/winter salads.
Ingredients You’ll Need for this Salad
- Kale: I used lacinato (ie. dinosaur) kale for this salad. I prefer it over curly kale since the texture is better for salads after it gets massaged.
- Arugula: I love the peppery flavor of the arugula in this salad. It helps balance out the sweetness from the apple and cranberries. Not a fan of arugula? You could sub baby spinach if you prefer.
- Butternut Squash: I love roasted butternut squash in fall salads. You can also sub sweet potato.
- Walnuts: Pecans would also work well in this salad.
- Dried Cranberries
- Vegan Parmesan cheese: this can be omitted. I really like the vegan parmesan from VioLife.
- Dressing: The maple mustard dressing on this salad really highlights the over flavors from the apple, arugula, and squash.
What to Serve with this Apple Walnut Salad
- Soup: Nothing better than soup and salad for lunch! This one pot red lentil pumpkin soup would be a perfect option.
- Pasta: Serve this as a side for a pasta dish like this vegan lasagna.
- Sandwich/Wrap: I often pair a salad like this one with a sandwich or wrap for lunch. This vegan buffalo tempeh wrap is my go-to right now.
More Salad Recipes You’ll Love
- Warm Farro Salad with Roasted Vegetables
- Rainbow Quinoa Salad with Peanut Dressing
- Summer Peach Salad with Grilled Corn and Almonds
- Strawberry Spinach Salad with Lemon Poppyseed Dressing
Apple Walnut Salad with Dijon Vinaigrette
- 3 cups cubed butternut squash ~1 small squash
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small bunch lacinato kale destemmed and chopped
- 2 cups baby arugula
- 1 apple cored and thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup shaved vegan parmesan
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- Sea salt and ground black pepper to taste
- Bake the squash. Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit and add squash to a baking sheet. Drizzle with oil and toss to coat. Bake for 30-35 minutes or until tender and golden brown. Set aside to cool.
- Make the salad dressing. Add all of the salad dressing ingredients to a jar and shake well to mix.
- Make the salad. Add the chopped kale to a large bowl and add 1/2 of the salad dressing. Massage dressing into the kale for about 30 seconds until tender. Add the rest of the salad ingredients (roasted squash, arugula, apple, walnuts, cranberries, and parmesan) and the rest of the dressing and toss.