I think I may need to make Monday a regular soup recipe post. These days, I just can’t get enough soup! In this chilly weather, it is almost all that I want to eat. Seriously. I saw this soup recipe in Eating Well magazine last week and may have started drooling…
We have been trying to incorporate more mushrooms into our meals because they can be such a great source of vitamin D. Yep. When exposed to UV light, mushrooms can make vitamin D naturally much like we do out in the sun in warmer months. Mushrooms make so much vitamin D, in fact, that by eating one serving of these mushrooms you can get up to 100% of your daily needs! When buying mushrooms, the label should state whether they have been exposed to UV light to make extra vitamin D. Pick some up on your next trip to the store and make a pot of this yummy soup.Print
This hearty mushroom lentil soup is a hearty vegetarian soup that is perfect for chilly nights in.
- 1/2 ounce dried porcini mushrooms
- 1 cup boiling water
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 12 ounces sliced cremini mushrooms
- 1/4 cup dry vermouth
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, sliced
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 2 parsnips, sliced
- 1/2 red bell pepper, chopped
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 2 1/2 cups cooked lentils
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- Sea salt and ground black pepper, to taste
- Combine boiling water and dried porcini mushrooms. Set aside to soak for ~20 minutes.
- In a large pot, heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil over medium-high heat. Toss in mushrooms and cook off their liquid, about 5-7 minutes. Add vermouth. Stir and cook mushrooms until lightly browned.
- Toss in the other 2 tablespoons of olive oil and the other vegetables: onion, carrot, parsnip, bell pepper. Stir gently and cook for 7 minutes or until onion becomes translucent.
- Drain the water from the porcini mushrooms and reserve. Chop the porcinis and toss into pot. Stir in vegetable broth, porcini broth, the bay leaf, and the oregano. Bring to a simmer.
- Cook for 15 minutes. Stir in the lentils and cook another 10 minutes or until the vegetables are softened.
- Serving Size: 5