This roasted butternut squash with pepitas is a simple, yet delicious side dish for any meal! Spices like cinnamon, nutmeg, and smoked paprika pair perfectly with the sweet butternut squash.
As foodies, one thing that Will and I love about Chicago is the endless list of delicious restaurants! A couple of weeks ago, we visited a restaurant that consistently ends up on must-visit lists for Chicago – The Purple Pig. It was definitely worth the wait. One of the dishes we ordered was a butternut squash in brown butter.
I loved it so much, I wanted to recreate something similar at home. I decided to lighten it up a bit, so I just roasted the squash in a bit of coconut oil and seasonings rather than the butter. Plus, subbing the coconut oil made this version vegan friendly as well. I loved the combination of the squash and crunchy pepitas. I’ll definitely be keeping this recipe in my rotation!
More Delicious Recipes You’ll Love
- Rosemary Roasted Carrots
- Tomato and Eggplant Bake
- Simple Citrus and Fennel Salad
- Roasted Potato Salad with Wilted Arugula
Roasted Butternut Squash with Pepitas
- 1 medium-size butternut squash peeled and cubed
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil melted (can also use olive oil or avocado oil)
- 1/4 cup raw pumpkin seeds pepitas
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- Dash nutmeg
- Dash smoked paprika
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Peel and chop butternut squash into evenly sized cubes.
- Toss squash, oil and seasonings together. Spread evenly on a cookie sheet.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes or until squash is lightly browned and softened.
- Toss with pepitas and serve.