Now that I usually exercise after work, I’ve found that I really need a mid-afternoon snack to help me get through the day. As this is what I am used to, I feel like, without it, I may not be able to perform at my best ability and just feel tired. When I feel tired, I just feel so unmotivated, so this is one reason why I like to have a snack in the afternoon. I’m not saying eat a load of sweets or junk food, as this will have the opposite effect on your body. I have my snacks in the afternoon, but you can also have a snack before your workout for more energy, especially if you didn’t have breakfast.
The best pre-workout snacks are carbohydrate-rich and also incorporate a bit of protein as well to promote muscle repair and decrease post-workout muscle soreness. I like to try and reach for carbohydrate foods that also have a few grams of fiber which is more satisfying. To prevent any kind of stomach discomfort while workout out, it’s best to eat your snack at least 1 hour before working out. These are a sample of 10 of my go-to simple and healthy workout snacks:
- Banana and peanut butter – You can’t get any more simple or classic than a banana and peanut butter.
- Hummus, chopped vegetables, and whole grain crackers – Hummus is one of my favorite healthy dips and serves as a great pre-workout snack as well with some whole grain crackers and a couple veggies.
- Toast with peanut butter and banana or smashed avocado – Top whole grain toast with your favorite toppings for an easy pre-workout snack.
- Yogurt and fresh berries – Top your yogurt with fresh berries, nuts, muesli, trail mix or whatever you have on hand!
- Homemade muffin – These vegan berry muffins (minus the glaze) have been fueling a lot of my workouts lately.
- Green smoothie – This strawberry pineapple green smoothie is my go-to these days.
- Grapes and almonds – Feel free to switch up the fruit with whatever you have on hand.
- Apple, cinnamon, and almond butter – Not a fan of almond butter? Feel free to use peanut butter, sunflower butter, or another favorite spread.
- Trail Mix -Trail mix is also a great option for a pre-workout snack.
- Popcorn – Simple, light, and so addicting. I love snacking on popcorn!
Tell me, what are your favorite pre-workout snacks?
Comments & Reviews
I love how super simple and easy these snacks are! I think I am gonna have way more motivation to workout knowing I have pre workout snacks that will benefit me before my run!
I have recently switched from supplements to snacks and am feeling awesome. Much more healthier and delicious!
Jessica @ Nutritioulicious says
great ideas! I just did a snack roundup as well and definitely didn’t think of some of these!
Holley Grainger says
What a delicious roundup. Always am looking for pre and post workout snacks so will definitely be referring back. Thanks!