Ahh… Monday. Here we go again! Let’s make this Monday a little brighter and chat about this sangria, shall we? Sipping on this sangria is a bit like an antioxidant kick in the pants. That ruby red color provides a lot of cancer fighting power!
Red wine, and alcohol in general, has been associated with lowered rates of heart disease risk. (When not consumed in excess of course.) Alcohol can help increase good “HDL” cholesterol – as much as 12% in those who have 1-2 drinks per day. Red wine in particular appears to have some anti-clotting properties – important for preventing stroke in those at risk. (Source) In addition to the benefits of the red wine, pomegranates are also high in similar antioxidants as well as vitamin C.
This sangria is perfect for welcoming fall. Pomegranate season is just now starting and I couldn’t be more excited to start using them again in all kinds of recipes! Thanks to Dreaming Tree for providing me with a sample which I used when I developed this recipe – it was perfect for this combination of fruit.Print
Get an antioxidant boost with this fall flavor inspired pear pomegranate sangria.
- 1 bottle Cabernet Sauviognon (I used Dreaming Tree)
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1 pear, chopped
- 1 orange, chopped
- 1 pomegranate, seeds removed
- 1/2 cup pomegranate juice
- 1.5 ounces Grand Marnier
- Soda water
- Layer all the ingredients together in a tall pitcher. Let sit in the refrigerator at least 4 hours or overnight to let the fruit infuse some flavor into the wine.
- To serve, place ice into wine glasses and pour wine over top of the ice. Add a splash of soda water. Serve chilled with additional sliced orange for garnish.
Dreaming Tree Wines provided me with a sample of wine which I used for the development of this recipe. I was not compensated in any other way for this post and all opinions are my own.