Warm up on a chilly morning with a bowl of this carrot cake oatmeal which incorporates all the flavors of your favorite dessert in a healthy vegan breakfast.
There’s nothing better on a chilly day than a big bowl of oatmeal. I usually make a bowl after my Saturday morning workouts when I have a little extra time in the morning. (My go-to breakfast during the week is a green smoothie!) Since oatmeal can be pretty boring on its own, I am always experimenting with new ways to add flavor. In the past I’ve shared a banana bread oatmeal and a gingerbread oatmeal. Today, I am excited to share my vegan carrot cake oatmeal!
Ingredients You’ll Need
- Old fashioned oats: you could also use quick cooking oats if you prefer. I just like the texture of old fashioned oats better.
- Milk: any milk works, both dairy or non-dairy. Soy milk is what I like to use.
- Shredded carrot: I like to finely shred mine on the smaller side of the grater.
- Spices (cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, vanilla): these add all the warming flavors you’ll usually find in carrot cake.
- Maple syrup: adds a bit of natural sweetness. Also, the maple flavor pairs really well with the spices in these oats.
- Toppings (walnuts, raisins, coconut flakes, hemp hearts, vegan yogurt): go wild with the toppings if you want! I love walnuts, raisins, and coconut chips like I used in the photos. A drizzle of vegan vanilla yogurt on top would also be delicious.
Why This Recipe is Good for You
Enjoy this oatmeal in the morning and you will already have eaten 1 serving of vegetables. Carrots are a great source of beta carotene which is important for a strong immune system as well as eye and skin health. Also, oatmeal is a great source of soluble fiber which can help lower cholesterol.
More Delicious Recipes You’ll Love
- Vegan Pumpkin Gingerbread
- Vegan Banana Bread Baked Oatmeal
- Vegan Protein Overnight Oats
- Pumpkin Spice Smoothie
Carrot Cake Oatmeal
- 1/2 cup gluten free old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup almond milk plus more for serving
- 2 small carrots peeled and shredded (~1/2 cup finely shredded carrot)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- Pinch of sea salt
- 2 tablespoons raisins
- 1/2 tablespoon maple syrup adjust based on sweetness level you prefer
- Add all of the ingredients to a small saucepan, stir well to combine and bring to a gentle simmer.
- Cook for ~5-7 minutes or until oats have thickened to desired consistency.
- Serve with desired toppings. I added hemp hearts, coconut, walnuts, maple syrup, and almond milk.