Curl up with mug of this delicious spiked vegan hot chocolate made with melted dark chocolate, sweetened with maple syrup, and spiked with a bit of bourbon. A yummy, dairy-free treat!
There’s nothing better on a cold winter night than huddling up on the couch with a cup of this yummy spiked vegan hot chocolate. All you need are a few simple ingredients to whip up a mug of this hot chocolate. It is so much better than a store-bought hot cocoa mix!
Ingredients You’ll Need for Vegan Spiked Hot Chocolate
- Almond milk: I like almond milk, but feel free to use whatever plant-based milk you prefer – soy, rice, hemp, oat, etc would all work!
- Vegan dark chocolate: Did you know that many chocolate companies abuse labor laws (including child labor) to produce chocolate? Look for fair trade varieties if you can. This website has a great list of ethically made chocolate.
- Cocoa powder: In addition to melting dark chocolate, the cocoa powder adds extra chocolatey richness.
- Vanilla extract: Feel free to omit, but I like the combo with the chocolate.
- Maple Syrup: Adds some natural sweetness to the hot chocolate and pairs really well with the bourbon.
- Bourbon: I love the combo of bourbon and chocolate but feel free to sub with some other liquor if you prefer.
- Vegan Whipped Cream: I really like So Delicious brand’s CocoWhip which you can find in the freezer aisle. (Not sponsored – just my fave!)
What other liquors can I add to spiked hot chocolate?
Not a big fan of bourbon? No worries! There are lots of other liquor options that still taste great on hot chocolate.
- Vegan Almond Milk Baileys
- Spiced Rum
- Coffee Liqueur
- Peppermint Schnapps
- Vegan Red Wine
Looking for more cocktails? Check out these recipes too!Print
This spiked vegan hot chocolate made with almond milk, dark chocolate, and sweetened with maple syrup is so much better than store-bought! Spike with a bit of bourbon and top with your favorite non-dairy whipped cream for a yummy treat.
- 2 cups unsweetened almond milk (or any non-dairy milk)
- 1.5 ounces vegan dark chocolate
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1–2 tablespoons maple syrup (depending on how sweet you prefer)
- 2 ounces bourbon
- To serve: Non-dairy whipped cream, chocolate shavings
- In a small saucepan, add all of your ingredients except the bourbon. Heat over medium heat. Stir and continue to heat until chocolate has melted and mixture is hot.
- Turn off the heat and stir in the bourbon.
- To serve, top with a non-dairy whipped cream and chocolate shavings.
- Serving Size: 1/2 Recipe
- Calories: 46 kcals
- Sugar: 0.5 g
- Sodium: 185 mg
- Fat: 3.3 g
- Saturated Fat: 0.3 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 3 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 3.5 g
- Fiber: 1 g
- Protein: 2 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg