Curl up with mug of this delicious spiked vegan hot chocolate made with melted dark chocolate, sweetened with maple syrup, and spiked with a bit of bourbon. A yummy, dairy-free treat!
There’s nothing better on a cold winter night than huddling up on the couch with a cup of this yummy spiked vegan hot chocolate. All you need are a few simple ingredients to whip up a mug of this hot chocolate. It is so much better than a store-bought hot cocoa mix!
Ingredients You’ll Need for Vegan Spiked Hot Chocolate
- Almond milk: I like almond milk, but feel free to use whatever plant-based milk you prefer – soy, rice, hemp, oat, etc would all work!
- Vegan dark chocolate: Did you know that many chocolate companies abuse labor laws (including child labor) to produce chocolate? Look for fair trade varieties if you can. This website has a great list of ethically made chocolate.
- Cocoa powder: In addition to melting dark chocolate, the cocoa powder adds extra chocolatey richness.
- Vanilla extract: Feel free to omit, but I like the combo with the chocolate.
- Maple Syrup: Adds some natural sweetness to the hot chocolate and pairs really well with the bourbon.
- Bourbon: I love the combo of bourbon and chocolate but feel free to sub with some other liquor if you prefer.
- Vegan Whipped Cream: I really like So Delicious brand’s CocoWhip which you can find in the freezer aisle. (Not sponsored – just my fave!)
What other liquors can I add to spiked hot chocolate?
Not a big fan of bourbon? No worries! There are lots of other liquor options that still taste great on hot chocolate.
- Vegan Almond Milk Baileys
- Spiced Rum
- Coffee Liqueur
- Peppermint Schnapps
- Vegan Red Wine
Looking for more cocktails? Check out these recipes too!
Spiked Vegan Hot Chocolate
- 2 cups unsweetened almond milk or any non-dairy milk
- 1.5 ounces vegan dark chocolate
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-2 tablespoons maple syrup depending on how sweet you prefer
- 2 ounces bourbon
- To serve: Non-dairy whipped cream chocolate shavings
- In a small saucepan, add all of your ingredients except the bourbon. Heat over medium heat. Stir and continue to heat until chocolate has melted and mixture is hot.
- Turn off the heat and stir in the bourbon.
- To serve, top with a non-dairy whipped cream and chocolate shavings.