These dark chocolate berry cashew cream cups are the best after dinner treat! The stash I had in the freezer after testing this recipe disappeared all too quickly… When it comes to desserts these days, I don’t want them to be overwhelmingly sweet anymore. I have developed a bit of an obsession with really good dark chocolate, which is definitely more on the bitter than sweet side. In fact, the first version of this recipe I tested was waaaaaay too sweet! I wanted to put some jam in the cups originally but it was just too much since I had already sweetened the cashew cream too. For the second time around I pureed berries into the cream rather than add a jam. This was definitely the best way to go! If you do prefer a dessert with a bit more sweetness, simply adjust the about of maple syrup you add to the cashew cream.
In addition to being delicious, these dark chocolate berry cashew cream cups also happen to be vegan too! Just make sure to double check the label on any dark chocolate you purchase to make sure it doesn’t contain any dairy. I’ve noticed that really dark chocolate bars with 85% cacao or more are typically vegan – it’s always good to double check though!
Dark Chocolate Berry Cashew Cream Cups
- 1/2 cup raw cashews soaked at least 3 hours
- 3 1/2 tablespoons coconut oil melted (Divided)
- 1/3 cup mixed berries Thawed if frozen
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- Dash of salt
- 4 ounces vegan dark chocolate
- Crushed freeze dried raspberries to garnish
- In a blender, puree the cashews, 2 1/2 tablespoons of the coconut oil, berries, maple syrup and salt together until smooth. (I found that it worked best to blend this in the single serving smoothie cup of my blender since it is a small amount of ingredients.)
- Melt the dark chocolate in a bowl in the microwave or over a double boiler. (I simply fit a glass bowl over a sauce pan of water. Bring the water to a simmer and stir the chocolate in the bowl until melted.) Stir in the last 1 tablespoon of melted coconut oil into the dark chocolate until well incorporated.
- Line 6 of the cups of a muffin tin with wax paper muffin/cupcake liners. Add 1 tablespoon of the chocolate to each cup, tipping the muffin tin so that the chocolate spreads out to cover the entire bottom of the cup. Place in the freezer for 10 minutes or until hardened.
- Divide the cashew cream evenly between the 6 cups. Freeze for 15-20 minutes or until firm.
- Divide the rest of the chocolate between the 6 cups, tilting the pan to cover the top of the cashew cream layer.
- Sprinkle each cup with ~1/2 teaspoon of crushed freeze dried raspberries. Place back in the freezer again until hardened, about 10 minutes.