Having a sick puppy is the worst. Will and I boarded our dog Honey while we were in New York City last week and she came down with the canine flu/kennel cough that is spreadin-for-dogs/”>frankincense and cancer as well, with studies saying it can kill tumours in dogs, so it seems it is a bit of a cure-all! Hopefully, she’ll be on the mend soon though. Poor pup!
In other news, I stayed busy in the kitchen over the last few days of my leave developing some new recipes to share! This risotto recipe was a real winner. Who knew that quinoa could make such a creamy, delicious risotto? White wine, mushrooms, butter, and garlic add tons of flavor while peas and spinach add a bit of spring-y green and nutrients to this dish. I can’t wait to remake this dish again and again this spring!
Spring Quinoa Risotto
- 1/2 yellow onion chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 cup chopped button mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1 1/2 cup quinoa rinsed well
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1/8 teaspoon thyme
- 2 handfuls ~3 cups fresh spinach
- 1 cup frozen or fresh peas
- 1/2 cup shredded parmesan
- Melt butter in a large saucepan and add onion.
- Saute 3-5 minutes or until translucent.
- Add garlic and mushrooms. Sauté 2-3 minutes or until some of the moisture form the mushrooms is cooked off.
- Add the olive oil and quinoa. Stir and cook another 1-2 minutes to lightly toast the quinoa.
- Add the white wine and cook until evaporated.
- Add broth 1 cup at a time, cooking until broth is evaporated between each cup.
- Add thyme, spinach, and peas. Cook 2 minutes or until spinach wilts.
- Add the parmesan cheese and stir until melted.
- Serve with additional shredded parmesan.
Make this recipe?
Share it with me on Instagram @dietitiandebbie and tag me #dietitiandebbie
Comments & Reviews
This was delicious!! I excluded the wine because was planning to feed it to my toddler and just added another 1/2 of broth instead. Yum!
Dietitian Debbie says
Yay! So glad to hear you enjoyed it. 🙂
genevieve @ gratitude and greens says
Yum! I recently made a spring buckwheat risotto and it was SO yummy. Quinoa is one of my fave things to cook with and I’m excited to make this! Any grains/seeds with spring vegetables is a definite yes in my book 😀
Katie (The Muffin Myth) says
Sick puppies are the saddest! I hope yours is doing better quickly. But this risotto! I use quinoa for fried rice and similar all the time, but have never tried a risotto. Must try it soon!
Wait – you can use quinoa for fried rice too?! I’ve got to try that! 🙂 Fingers crossed, we’re hoping our pup is on the mend!
Definitely making this! Quinoa + risotto is calling my name. Gorgeous photos!!
Thanks Alanna! Also – your mini almond butter snack cups… YUM!
Jessica @ Nutritioulicious says
Love the spring-y-ness of this recipe! Looks divine! Hope your doggy is better soon!
This looks so good. I can’t wait to try it for myself.