Freeze dried berries are the perfect addition to classic chocolate chips cookies – you’ll be sure to fall in love with these whole wheat strawberry dark chocolate cookies!
Will and I are gearing up to travel to NYC this weekend for a few days. I can’t wait! It’s the first time for both of us, so if you all have any suggestions for things to see and/or do, let me know! I know the Museum of Modern Art is at the top of our list and there are a few restaurants I’ve heard are a must. Other than that, we don’t have a lot planned. It will also be our first experience using Airbnb – it should be fun. 🙂
This week has been a bit crazy/hectic and I was totally craving one thing – cookies. Last weekend, I picked up a bag of freeze dried strawberries from Trader Joe’s. Have you had those before?
The texture is so strange, but they are kind of addicting! Anyways, I had the crazy idea to add them to chocolate chip cookies. I mean, I have tried blueberries in cookies before, strawberries should be tasty too, right?
Of course! They were soooo good! I used this whole wheat chocolate chip cookie recipe from Food52 and slightly adapted it. The strawberry taste is kind of subtle in the finished cookie, but so delicious when paired with the dark chocolate.
More Cookie Recipes You’ll Love
- Vegan Almond Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Chocolate Cookies with Coffee Glaze
- Almond Snowball Cookies
- Pomegranate and Dark Chocolate Cookies
- Pumpkin Molasses Cookies
- Apricot Coconut Cookies
Did you love this recipe? Make sure to leave a ⭐️ rating and tag #dietitiandebbie on instagram!
Whole Wheat Strawberry Dark Chocolate Cookies
- 1 1/2 cups whole-wheat flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1 stick salted butter
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated white sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 ounces dark chocolate chopped in 1/4 inch pieces
- 1/2 cup chopped freeze dried strawberries
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix the butter and sugars together until smooth. Add the egg and vanilla and mix well.
- In a small bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and soda, and salt.
- Gradually add the flour mixture to the butter mixture and mix until smooth.
- Stir in the chocolate and strawberries.
- Scoop dough on to a cookie sheet by the tablespoon-full.
- Bake for 12-14 minutes or until lightly browned.
Make this recipe?
Share it with me on Instagram @dietitiandebbie and tag me #dietitiandebbie
Comments & Reviews
Aw this looks lovely too! Do you have any other substitutions for the freeze-dried strawberries? Do you think I could use dried fruit or maybe just leave it out completely? I’ve got no freeze-dried strawberries where I am 🙁
Dietitian Debbie says
I haven’t tried the recipe with regular dried berries, but I think they would make a fine substitute!
Susie @ SuzLyfe says
I love using freeze dried strawberries for baking–my favorite is my strawberry lemonade scones that I made for a friends bridal shower. Perfect for baking! And munching 😀