Can we all agree that tofu is a little weird, right? In fact, the firm tofu kind of reminds me of jello cubes… Since becoming a vegetarian, tofu has always been lower on my list of plant-based protein choices at dinner. Yet, every once in a while I see some great recipe with tofu that I have just got to try. One of those quirky recipes was making scrambled tofu as a replacement for scrambled eggs. The perfect vehicle for delivering scrambled tofu? A corn tortilla with a layer of beans and green chile otherwise known as huevos rancheros!
I know this actually just looks like a hot mess on a corn tortilla, but I promise that it is actually really good! Plus, it comes together in a matter of minutes for a quick and filling breakfast OR dinner. Make these vegan by just leaving off the cheese and subbing oil for the butter when making the “refried” beans.
Vegetarian Huevos Rancheros
- 4 Corn Tortillas 6" Round
- 2 cups cooked kidney beans
- 3 tablespoons chopped green onion ~3 spears
- 1 tablespoon butter or oil if vegan
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup chopped red bell pepper ~1/3 pepper
- 2 pinches baking soda
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 8 ounce package extra firm tofu
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 4 tablespoons canned green chile
- Remove the tofu from the package and press under something heavy to squeeze out some of the extra moisture. Set aside to press while you start the beans.
- To make the beans, melt butter in a skillet over medium heat. Add beans, green onion, red bell pepper and broth. Simmer for 4-6 minutes. Stir in the vinegar and baking soda. Begin to mash the beans using the back of a wooden spoon and cook for another 2 minutes until liquid is absorbed an beans are well mashed.
- Place the pressed tofu in a medium bowl. Using a butter knife, roughly chop into 1/2" pieces. Heat a non-stick skillet over low heat and add the tofu. Sprinkle with turmeric and cumin and stir to evenly coat. Cook for 3-5 minutes or until the tofu is no longer releasing excess moisture.
- Toast the corn tortillas for 2-3 minutes in a toaster oven until crisp.
- Assemble huevos rancheros by spreading the 1/4 of the bean mixture on a tortilla, then topping with 1/4 the "eggs", 1 tablespoon green chile and other desired toppings.