Happy St. Patrick’s Day! Chicago was super festive this weekend with the gorgeous weather and all the St. Patty’s Day festivities. Will and I headed downtown to check out the river which is dyed green every year (and got engaged – more on that in another post!). Speaking of green things, I wanted to share these fun little matcha meringue kisses. They are only three ingredients (you heard that right!), easy to make, and adorable to serve.
I originally saw these on Honestly Yum and thought it would make for a great St. Patty’s day treat if I could create green ones. The matcha tea sitting in my pantry was perfect for this. However, if you don’t have any matcha, you can easily use a bit of food dye. Just line the piping bag using this method from Bakerella to add stripes to your meringue kisses. With just sugar and egg whites, these cookies are low in calories and gluten free too!Print
Celebrate St. Patrick’s Day with these adorable little matcha meringue kisses. With only three ingredients they are simple to make and naturally gluten-free!
- 4 egg whites, room temperature
- 1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon matcha tea + extra for dusting
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Spread the granulated sugar across the baking sheet and bake for 5 minutes or until sugar along the edges of the pan begins to lightly brown.
- Meanwhile, beat egg whites until you have soft peaks. Now, add the sugar in small batches, whipping the egg whites until smooth and shiny with stiff peaks. (To make sure the sugar is incorporated, rub a bit of the mixture between your fingers and continue whipping if it still feels gritty.)
- Add the matcha and whip until incorporated.
- Using a piping bag with ~1″ cut off the bottom (or a zip-loc bag – which is what I used!) pipe the kisses onto the parchment lined baking sheet you used earlier for the sugar.
- Turn down the oven heat to 200 degrees Fahrenheit and bake the kisses for ~30-35 minutes or until they easily lift off of the parchment paper.
- Transfer to a rack to cool completely. Sprinkle with additional matcha to serve. Store in an airtight container.
- Serving Size: 1 Cookie
- Calories: 29 kcals
- Sugar: 7 g
- Sodium: 6 mg
- Fat: 0 g
- Saturated Fat: 0 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 0 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 7 g
- Fiber: 0 g
- Protein: 0.4 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg