Did you know that Thursday was national chocolate chip cookie day?! Chocolate chip cookies are such a classic sweet treat. In fact, if you google best chocolate chip cookie recipe you will get over 10 MILLION results! With so many recipes out there, you know people are serious about their chocolate chip cookies. It’s no wonder there’s a national “holiday”. How about we celebrate a day late?
I have confessed this a couple of times here on my blog, but I have such a sweet tooth. I normally keep a sweet treat of some kind on hand in the freezer for nights when I am really craving a little dessert after dinner. I had run out of my freezer stash a week ago, and I was really craving cookies this weekend. So, I whipped up a batch of these double chocolate mocha cookies. Seriously, they are like a coffee shop mocha in cookie form. There’s cocoa, chocolate chips, and instant espresso – you can’t go wrong with that combination! Also, these cookies are in no way healthy… if I want to eat a cookie, only a butter and sugar laden cookie will do!
Bake up a batch of these delicious cookies and raise your glass of milk in belated celebration of the genius who created the first chocolate chip cookie.
Double Chocolate Mocha Cookies
- 10 tablespoons butter softened
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons cocoa
- 1 tablespoon instant espresso powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream butter and sugars together with a mixer.
- Add the egg and vanilla to the butter and sugar and mix until combined.
- In another bowl, combine flour, baking soda, cocoa, espresso, and salt. Slowly add the flour mixture to the butter mixture using a mixer. Beat until a soft dough forms.
- Stir in chocolate chips.
- Scoop a tablespoon of the dough out, roll it into a ball, and place it on a cookie sheet. Repeat for the rest of the dough.
- Bake cookies for 8-10 minutes or until flattened and the top begins to crack.