This rainbow quinoa salad with peanut dressing is a delicious vegan and gluten free salad that is perfect for meal prep for lunches for the week. Full of flavor thanks to the easy peanut dressing and tons of color from all the veggies!
One of my most popular posts is this simple curry spiced quinoa so I thought it was time for another quinoa post! This rainbow quinoa salad with peanut dressing is great for weekday meal prep since it packs so well in lunches for the week whether you are going into the office again or still working from home. You can keep it in an airtight container for 3-4 days in the fridge.
Ingredients You’ll Need
- Quinoa: I love using quinoa as a base for salads like this one. Quinoa is also so good for you! It’s packed with healthy fats, protein, and fiber.
- Assorted Veggies: Use different colored veggies for the rainbow effect. I used: red bell pepper, purple cabbage, purple radish, carrots, and cucumber.
- Edamame: I just buy shelled frozen edamame for this salad and thaw it a few seconds in the microwave. So easy! If you don’t like edamame or can’t find it, feel free to use chickpeas instead.
- Peanut Butter: I use a creamy, natural peanut butter for sauce recipes like this one.
- Soy Sauce: Adds saltiness and umami flavor to the peanut sauce. Feel free to use tamari if making this gluten free.
- Sriracha: Love the hint of spice this adds to the sauce.
- Garlic & Ginger: Packs in a bunch of flavor.
- Sesame Oil: Love the nutty flavor of sesame oil in dressings like this one. Feel free to omit but it is relatively easy to find in stores now!
- Maple Syrup: Adds just a hint of sweetness to the dressing.
How to Store Quinoa Salad
- To make ahead: Chop all of your vegetables in advance and refrigerate until ready to use. You can also make your quinoa in advance and refrigerate until you are ready to assemble your salad.
- To store leftovers: Store leftover salad in an airtight container for up to 3-4 days in the refrigerator.
More Tasty Salad Recipes to Try!
- Warm Farro Salad with Roasted Root Vegetables (Another grain based salad that is great for meal prep!
- Buffalo Tempeh Salads
- Chickpea Taco Salad
Rainbow Quinoa Salad with Peanut Dressing
For the Salad:
- 3/4 cup uncooked quinoa
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 cup frozen shelled edamame (can sub chickpeas)
- 2 carrots peeled and shredded
- 5 in piece cucumber thinly sliced and quartered
- 1 1/2 cups thinly sliced purple cabbage
- 1 red bell pepper thinly sliced
- 1 green onion chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/3 cup chopped unsalted roasted peanuts (optional)
- Lime wedges to serve
For the Peanut Dressing:
- 1/3 cup natural creamy peanut butter
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce sub tamari if gluten free
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder or 1 minced garlic clove
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger or 1/2 in ginger root, grated
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon sriracha
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- Add quinoa to a fine mesh strainer and rinse well under cold water. Add rinsed quinoa and water to a small saucepan. Bring to a simmer and cover. Cook for 12-15 minutes or until liquid is absorbed. Fluff with a fork and set aside to cool.
- Add frozen edamame to a bowl and defrost in the microwave.
- Add all the chopped veggies (carrots, cucumber, cabbage, bell pepper), edamame, green onion, and cilantro to a large mixing bowl. Set aside
- Make the dressing by adding all of your dressing ingredients to a small mixing bowl and stirring well with a whisk.
- To assemble the salad, add the cooled quinoa to the mixing bowl with the chopped vegetables. Add dressing and toss to coat. Top with chopped peanuts to serve.