You’re guaranteed to love these simple almond flour thumbprint cookies which are vegan, gluten free, and sweetened with maple syrup. These soft and chewy cookies are made with just 8 simple wholesome ingredients.
Thumbprint cookies were just one of the many different varieties of cookies my grandma used to make at Christmas. I haven’t had them in years so I thought it was about time to recreate them here! Since going vegan, I was looking for a butter and egg free variety. These are super simple to make – no electric mixer required! Feel free to switch up the recipe with your favorite jam for filling these cookies.
Ingredients for Thumbprint Cookies
- Almond Flour: Use super fine almond flour for this cookie recipe. The almond flour makes these very tender and delicious.
- Maple Syrup: A little maple syrup adds some natural sweetness to these cookies.
- Oil: I have used olive oil and canola oil in these cookies. Use whatever neutral oil you prefer.
- Vanilla Extract: Pairs well with the almond flavor in the flour. Almond extract would also be really good in this recipe.
- Lemon Zest: I love the combo of lemon and strawberry in these cookies.
- Sea Salt: A dash of salt brings out the flavor in cookies. I like using sea salt for baking.
- Strawberry Jam: You can use any jam you prefer, but I love the flavor combo of strawberry and lemon zest in this version.
- Shredded Coconut: I like the way the shredded coconut looks after baking since it gets a nice golden brown and tastes great with the strawberry jam. You can omit it if you want!
Can you freeze thumbprint cookies?
Yes! Add parchment paper between the layers of the cookies when stacking in a freezer friendly dish. When ready to eat, just take them out of the freezer and let them warm up for 20-30 minutes on the counter.
More vegan cookie recipes to check out:
- Giant Double Chocolate Cookies (Vegan, Gluten Free)
- Vegan Peppermint Sugar Cookies
- Vegan Peanut Butter Cookies
Almond Flour Thumbprint Cookies
- 2 cups super fine almond flour
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup oil canola, olive, or melted coconut oil are great options
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Zest from 1/2 lemon
- Dash of sea salt
- 1/4 cup shredded unsweetened coconut
- 1/4 cup strawberry jam or your favorite jam flavor
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Add the almond flour, maple syrup, oil, vanilla, lemon zest, and sea salt to a mixing bowl and stir with a wooden spoon until dough forms.
- Add coconut to a plate. Roll dough into a 1 tablespoon size balls and roll in the coconut shreds to coat and arrange on a baking sheet.
- Use a 1/2 teaspoon to make an indent in the top of each dough ball. Fill with 1/2 teaspoon jam.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes or until coconut is toasted. Allow to cool a few minutes on the pan before transferring to a wire rack.