Start your day off right with a bowl of warm vegan pumpkin oatmeal made with old fashioned oats, canned pumpkin, soy milk, and warming spices like cinnamon and nutmeg.
I’ll confess, I am the kind of person who wakes up excited about breakfast! These days, I look forward to warming up on chilly mornings with a bowl of hot oatmeal. Since oats can be boring on their own, I am always experimenting with new toppings and mix-ins. This pumpkin version though is one of my absolute favorites! It is the perfect breakfast for fall.
Ingredients You’ll Need for this Recipe
- Old Fashioned Oats: quick cooking oats would work too but you’ll want to adjust the cooking time as these cook faster than old fashioned oats.
- Canned Pumpkin: look for plain canned pumpkin (pumpkin will be the only ingredient) not pumpkin pie filling.
- Plant-Based Milk: feel free to use whichever plant-based milk you prefer. Soy milk is my go-to since it has more protein.
- Pumpkin Pie Spice: I just buy mine from the store, but you can also make your own.
- Maple Syrup: I prefer maple syrup but you could also use agave or brown sugar.
- Salt: so important for bringing out all the flavors in this oatmeal.
How to Serve Healthy Pumpkin Oatmeal
This pumpkin oatmeal has a lot of great flavor on its own, but I always like to dress up my oatmeal with some tasty toppings as well. I like to serve this healthy pumpkin oatmeal with:
- Nut butter: peanut butter or almond butter are great options. Love how it gets so melty when stirred into warm oats.
- Chopped nuts: pecans, walnuts, or pumpkin seeds are great additions. I like to include nuts for the healthy fats and for some crunch. Hemp hearts would be lovely too.
- Plant-Based Milk: I always like to add a splash of plant-based milk when serving my oatmeal. Soy milk is my go-to.
- Maple Syrup: add a little more sweetness with a drizzle of maple syrup. Brown sugar would also be delicious.
More Great Pumpkin Recipes
- Vegan Pumpkin Baked Oatmeal
- Healthy Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins
- One Pot Red Lentil Pumpkin Soup
- Pumpkin Spice Smoothie
- Healthy Blueberry Oatmeal
Healthy Pumpkin Oatmeal
- 1/2 cup old fashioned oats
- 1/2 cup soy milk or whichever plant-based milk you prefer
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup canned pumpkin
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- Pinch of sea salt
- Add all of your oatmeal ingredients to a small saucepan. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat and cook until all the liquid is absorbed and oats are soft, about 5-8 minutes.
- Serve with your choice of toppings like a splash of milk, almond butter, and chopped nuts.