This vegan and gluten free chickpea taco salad is super simple to whip up! Canned chickpeas are tossed with spices and salsa in a skillet and then added to salad greens with a fresh chopped veggies and roasted sweet potato.
Pssst…. Salad doesn’t have to be boring! This easy chickpea taco salad is a perfect example of how you can make a filling salad at home that also tastes delicious.
I love salads that are overloaded with tasty toppings like this chickpea taco salad! We still had some chickpeas leftover in the freezer from the batch we cooked up last week so I seasoned them up with onion, cumin, salsa, garlic, and oregano and tossed them onto some salad greens. I’m sharing the recipe for the chickpeas here, but the rest of the salad is up to you!
Taco Salad Topping Suggestions
Seriously, you can use whatever veggies you have on hand to toss on there. I included red onion, orange bell pepper, cucumber, roasted sweet potatoes, corn, avocado, and corn tortilla strips. Serve with your favorite ranch dressing, a drizzle of hot sauce, squeeze of lime, and some chopped cilantro.
A Couple Tips to Speed Up Prep Time
Recipes like this chickpea taco salad are great for weeknights when you don’t want to do a lot of cooking. You could even chop up your ingredients on the weekend to make prep even faster. I usually roast a couple of sweet potatoes in the oven on Sunday so I have them on hand to add into tasty salads like this one throughout the week.
Looking for more salad recipes? Check out these!
- Vegan Taco Salad with Chipotle Cashew Dressing
- Strawberry Spinach Salad with Lemon Poppyseed Dressing
- Roasted Cauliflower, Feta, and Lentil Salad
- Buffalo Tempeh Salads
Chickpea Taco Salad
For the Chickpeas:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- 1 15 oz can chickpeas, drained (~1 1/2 cups cooked chickpeas)
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- Dash of cayenne pepper
- 1/3 cup salsa
- Salt and ground black pepper to taste
For the Salad:
- 5 oz. package spring greens
- Dressing Here's my favorite ranch recipe
- Tortilla chips
- Red Onion
- Chopped Cilantro
- Hot Sauce I used Cholula brand
- Chopped tomatoes
- Chopped bell pepper
- Roasted sweet potatoes
- Heat olive oil in a non-stick skillet for 1 minute. Add the onion and saute for 3-4 minutes or until softened. Add the chickpeas, garlic, cumin, oregano, cayenne, and salsa. Saute until liuqid from salsa has cooked off and thickened, about 5-7 minutes. Season with salt and black pepper to taste.
- Assemble salads according to ingredients you have on hand. Chickpeas make 3 servings.