These buffalo tempeh salads have quickly become a weekly dinner option for Will and I since summer started. Some days you just really can’t bring yourself to turn on the oven so these tempeh salads are the perfection solution. Until recently, I didn’t know just how easy it is to make your own buffalo sauce at home. It’s literally just 2 ingredients so I debated whether I should even post this “recipe” since it is so simple! You also have to serve it with some ranch dressing since buffalo and ranch are a perfect match. I have yet to come up with a recipe for a vegan ranch that I like so I would just use your favorite store-bought vegan ranch. The rest of the salad add-ins are totally up to you! These days, we are usually adding whatever market vegetables we need to use up.
When I posted the photo of this salad on instagram, a lot of people mentioned that they had never used buffalo sauce on tempeh before and I was like “OMG – you have to try it!”. Tempeh is seriously like a sponge and just soaks up all that buffalo sauce. I think it would be a great way to introduce a newbie to tempeh since buffalo sauce is such a familiar ingredient and it pairs so well with the mild flavor of tempeh!
More Delicious Salad Recipes to Try
- White Bean Pesto Salad with Arugula
- Roasted Delicata Squash, Pomegranate, and Spinach Salad
- Simple Italian Salad
Buffalo Tempeh Salads
- For the Tempeh: 1/4 cup hot sauce
- 1/4 cup vegan butter
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 8 oz. tempeh
- For the Salads: Store-bought vegan ranch dressing salad greens, cucumber, bell pepper, tomato, avocado, purple onion, radish
- Add the hot sauce and butter to a small saucepan. Cook over low heat until butter is melted. Stir well to combine. Set aside.
- Cut the tempeh into 1" squares and then in half into a triangle shape. Carefully, half each piece again to create a 1/3" triangle piece.
- In a non-stick skillet, add oil and sauté tempeh until lightly browned, about 3-4 minutes on each side. Turn off heat and pour on buffalo sauce. Toss to coat.
- Assemble salads. Divide tempeh evenly between 2 salads.