This easy vegan tofu scramble can be whipped up in a matter of minutes from a few ingredients so you can make it whenever the craving hits. I love serving it over buttered toast but it would also make a great filling for breakfast tacos or paired with a short stack of waffles.
Last weekend, I was craving something savory for breakfast and decided to whip up a batch of this easy vegan tofu scramble. It had been ages since I made it and I quickly fell in love with it all over again. Eggs are great and all, but this tofu scramble may be even better! (Bonus, no animals are harmed when making tofu scramble!)
What is the best kind of tofu to use for tofu scramble?
I like to use firm tofu when making tofu scramble, NOT extra firm tofu. Tofu scramble that is too dry is the worst! So, I like using firm tofu because it has a little higher liquid content and you don’t have to add more liquid like some recipes for tofu scramble.
How to do you make tofu scramble?
It is super simple! Just drain the extra liquid in the package of your firm tofu and the tofu into a large mixing bowl. Use a fork (that’s what I do) or a potato masher to crumble up your tofu. Add some oil to a pan over low heat and toss in your crumbled tofu, granulated garlic (or garlic powder), nutritional yeast, and turmeric. Scramble over low heat until most of the water from the tofu has cooked off. Add some salt and pepper. Taste and add more if needed and serve! I literally takes maybe 10 minutes from start to finish to whip up. (That’s my kind of breakfast!)
What do you serve with tofu scramble?
The options for serving up this easy vegan tofu scramble are endless! Basically, you can use it just like you would use regular scrambled eggs. I like serving it on some buttered toast like you see above. (I use Miyokos butter for that – my favorite vegan butter!) You could also serve with with hash browns, waffles, pancakes, vegan bacon (we like this bacon from Sweet Earth!). You could also wrap it up in a tortilla with some salsa, roasted potatoes, and peppers for a yummy breakfast burrito or breakfast taco.
Looking for more tofu recipes? Check out these!
Easy Vegan Tofu Scramble
- 14-16 oz package firm tofu drained (package size varies by brand)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric feel free to add more to get a deeper yellow color
- 1/8 teaspoon granulated garlic
- Salt and ground black pepper to taste
- Add tofu to a large bowl and use a fork or potato masher to crumble tofu into small pieces.
- Add olive oil in non-stick skillet over low heat.
- Add tofu, nutritional yeast, turmeric, and garlic. Toss to coat tofu in seasonings. Cook over low to medium-low heat until liquid from tofu has cooked off and tofu is warm.
- Season with salt and pepper. Taste and add more salt as needed.