This spaghetti squash with romesco sauce is a tasty alternative to your weekly spaghetti night. Serve veggie sausage and vegan parmesan for a one bowl meal.
I’ve already made this spaghetti squash with romesco sauce a few times and I just can’t get enough of it! Will was out of town so I was on my own to figure out what to fix for dinner and came up with this delicious combo.
What is Romesco Sauce?
What is romesco sauce you ask? Romesco sauce is a Spanish sauce made from tomatoes and roasted peppers that is pureed and thickened with almonds (mine has cashews) or bread. The romesco sauce couldn’t be easier to make and you’ll have a bit extra which you can add to other dishes like vegetable sandwiches, eggs, and more! Since Will follows a low carb diet, we usually use the romesco sauce on spaghetti squash, but you could easily just use your favorite pasta. (I’ve used penne in the past and it was so good!)
The most time consuming part of this recipe is cooking up the spaghetti squash. We usually halve it, scoop out the seeds, and roast it in the oven until tender. I’ve heard that there is also a microwave method for cooking it, but we prefer the oven for now. While your squash roasts, you can puree the romesco sauce and cook up your sausage. Afterwards, everything gets tossed together in one pan to warm up with some spinach as well. I like to serve it with a little of my easy vegan parmesan.
More Delicious Recipes You’ll Love
- Vegetarian Enchilada Spaghetti Squash
- Lasagna Stuffed Spaghetti Squash
- Pesto Spaghetti Squash with Roasted Tomatoes
Spaghetti Squash with Romesco Sauce
For the Spaghetti Squash:
- 1 medium spaghetti squash
- Olive oil
For the Romesco Sauce:
- 1 15 oz can fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup raw unsalted cashews
- 1 12 oz jar roasted red peppers, drained
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast optional - but highly recommend!
- Dash of sea salt and ground black pepper
- 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- 2-3 veggie sausages I used Field Roast, sliced
- 1 5 oz bag spinach
- Vegan parmesan
Make the Squash
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Cut the spaghetti squash in half lengthwise and scoop out the seeds with a spoon. Rub olive oil on the inside of the spaghetti squash and lay cut side down on a baking sheet. Bake for 35-45 minutes or until fork tender. Set aside.
Make the Romesco Sauce
- Meanwhile, add the tomatoes, cashews, red pepper, garlic, onion, thyme, nutritional yeast, salt and pepper to a high powered blender and puree until smooth.
- Add the olive oil to a large non-stick skillet and add the sausage. Cook until lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a dish and set aside.
- Scrape out the inside of the spaghetti squash and add the to skillet. Cover in romesco sauce (I used about 1 1/2 cups). Stir in the spinach. Cook for 3-5 minutes or until spinach has wilted.
- To serve, plate the squash and top with sausage. Sprinkle with vegan parmesan (if desired).