Savor the last of summer’s tomatoes in this pesto spaghetti squash with roasted tomatoes dish that is not only delicious but gluten free!
As Labor Day marks the unofficial start of all things fall, I thought it would be a great time to share this delicious recipe for pesto spaghetti squash with roasted tomatoes.
The reason this dish is perfect for just this time of year is that you can still take advantage of some of the last tomatoes and basil of the season while also utilizing some of the first winter squash on the market.
The roasting time for this recipe is the longest step. After that, everything comes together really quickly. It took me a little while to warm up to spaghetti squash, but now I love using it in recipes like this in place of regular pasta. Not only does it make the recipe gluten free, but lower carb as well.
For my fellow vegetarians who are looking to make this dish, make sure to look for a veg-friendly parmesan cheese as it usually isn’t vegetarian. Most all imported cheeses use animal rennet so look for a local cheese instead. The label should list a vegetable or microbial rennet on the ingredient list.
This pesto spaghetti squash with roasted tomatoes is great when served with some sliced vegan Italian sausage!
More Delicious Recipes You’ll Love
- Pistachio Pesto Pasta
- Burst Tomato and Spinach Pasta
- Creamy Vegan Pasta with Peas and Mint
- Lasagna Stuffed Spaghetti Squash
- Spring Quinoa Risotto
Did you love this recipe? Make sure to leave a ⭐️ rating and tag #dietitiandebbie on instagram!
Pesto Spaghetti Squash with Roasted Tomatoes
- 1 spaghetti squash
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 ounce parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup salted cashews
- 1 1/2 cups packed fresh basil leaves
- 1/4 cup + 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4-5 cloves garlic
- Dash of salt
- Dash of ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Cut the spaghetti squash in half lengthwise and place the two halves cut side down on a baking sheet. Bake for 40-45 minutes or until easily pierced with a fork.
- Cut the cherry tomatoes in halves and spread in a single layer on a baking sheet. Add the garlic cloves as well. Drizzle with the 1 tablespoon of olive oil and the dried oregano. Bake for 40-50 minutes or until the tomato skins begin to blister.
- To make the pesto, add the parmesan, cashews, basil, 1/4 cup olive oil, roasted garlic cloves, salt and pepper to a food processor and puree until smooth.
- Scrape the insides of the cooked spaghetti squash out of the skin into a medium sized mixing bowl. Add 1/4 cup of the pesto to the squash and stir to coat.
- Divide squash into two servings and evenly divide the roasted tomatoes between the two. Serve with additional parmesan cheese if desired.
Make this recipe?
Share it with me on Instagram @dietitiandebbie and tag me #dietitiandebbie
Comments & Reviews
Jessica @ Nutritioulicious says
Love roasted tomatoes and those look perfect. Just came back from Genoa, which I never knew was the home of pesto!!
Katie @ Mom to Mom Nutrition says
I love using spaghetti squash in spaghetti recipes. I have to try your version with a pesto sauce. Genius!
Lauren @ Eating with a Purpose says
Yum- I have half a jar of homemade pesto leftover- I think this may just be the perfect use of it- love spaghetti squash!!