This vegan lemon loaf is moist, tender, and bursting with lemon-y flavor. The loaf is naturally sweetened with maple syrup to balance out the sweetness of the lemony glaze on top. Pair with a cup of coffee as an afternoon treat!
This post contains affiliate links. Purchasing via affiliate links supports Dietitian Debbie Dishes at no additional cost to you.
Last summer, I created this yummy lemon poppyseed zucchini bread but was recently craving something more like a lemon cake. Hence, the recipe for this vegan lemon loaf was born. The combination of flour and almond flour means that it stays moist and has a tender crumb. Plus, lemon and almond pair so well together! I also love topping it with some chopped pistachios for a pretty presentation.
Here’s what you’ll need to make this loaf:
- Ground flax seed: you’ll use this as an egg replacer in this vegan lemon loaf.
- All-purpose flour
- Almond flour
- Baking powder
- Olive oil: Use any neutral tasting oil in this recipe. I actually like the taste of olive oil in this loaf with the lemon, but canola oil or vegetable oil will also work well.
- Soy milk: Use any non-dairy milk that you prefer.
- Maple syrup
- 1-2 lemons: You’ll use 1 lemon for the loaf, plus another 1/2 lemon for the glaze.
- Vanilla extract
- Powdered sugar
Tips for making vegan lemon loaf
- Line your loaf pan with parchment paper so it is easier to remove the loaf from the pan. I make sure there is extra paper so that I grab that to lift it out of the pan.
- Make sure to measure your flour properly. Spoon the flour into your measuring cups and level with a knife.
- Let the loaf cool completely before adding the glaze or else it will be too runny.
- To make the glaze, you’ll want to gradually add the lemon juice just 1/4 teaspoon or so at a time after the first teaspoon until you get the right consistency. It should be very thick, but just runny enough that you can spread it over the top of your loaf.
Can I freeze this vegan lemon loaf?
Yes! This lemon loaf can be frozen in a airtight container if you’d like. Note that the the glaze will not look as nice after it has been defrosted. I normally slice the loaf before freezing so I can defrost it one slice at a time.
Looking for more delicious baked goods? Check out these recipes!
- Vegan chocolate swirl banana bread
- Vegan double chocolate banana muffins
- Coconut chocolate chip banana muffins
- Vegan pumpkin gingerbread
Vegan Lemon Loaf
- For the Loaf:
- 2 tablespoons ground flax seed
- 5 tablespoons warm water
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup almond flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1/3 cup soy milk
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- Zest from 1 lemon
- Juice from 1 lemon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- For the Glaze:
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2-3 teaspoons lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons chopped pistachios
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a loaf pan with parchment paper and set aside.
- Whisk together the ground flax seed and warm water in a large mixing bowl and set aside for 2 minutes to gel.
- In a small mixing bowl, stir together the flour, almond flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Add the olive oil, soy milk, maple syrup, lemon zest, lemon juice, and vanilla to the mixing bowl with the flax. Stir well.
- Add the flour mixture and stir again just until everything is mixed.
- Transfer to baking pan and bake for 40-50 minutes. Allow to cool for at least 10-15 minutes in the pan.
- Lift out of pan and transfer to a cooling rack to cool completely.
- Once bread is completely cool, make the glaze. Whisk together powdered sugar and 1 teaspoon of lemon juice. Add the other 1-2 teaspoons of lemon juice a few drops at a time until glaze is thick but pourable.
- Pour glaze over bread and use spatula to spread it to the edges of the bread. Set aside for 5-10 minutes to allow glaze to set. Top with chopped pistachios and garnish with lemon wedges.