I’ve been wanting to make vegan peppermint patties at home for ages and finally made it happen! The Recipe Redux is turning 6 so the theme for this month was to come up with a bite sized dessert. These little peppermint patties are so tasty, I have to restrain myself from eating half the batch! Although they may seem intimidating to make, they are actually super simple and require only a couple of ingredients. I think the reason that I had never made them before was that I thought they would require me to purchase a candy thermometer and try to get the temperature for the filling just right. Luckily, there is no need for all of that to enjoy these minty treats!
Speaking of The Recipe Redux turning 6, I’ve been doing posts for these roundups for a long time so I thought it might be fun to look back at some of my old posts from the last few years.
- Larabar in a Jar: This Recipe Redux post from 2013 (!) is the oldest I could find on my blog. (Some older ones may have been deleted when I cleaned up a few things in the archives.) Let’s just say, my photography skills have improved since then? Lol.
- Mediterranean-Inspired Pizza: This pizza recipe from 2014 was at the beginning of that cauliflower crust phase that is still going on in 2017! Who knew?!
- Vegan Chickpea Chana Masala: This recipe from 2015 is still one of my favorites. So simple to make and yet so delicious!
- Grilled Baba Ganoush: It was hard to pick a favorite for 2016, but the start of summer has be itching to use the grill again so this grilled baba ganoush is at the top of my list of recipes to remake this summer.
These little vegan peppermint patties are surprisingly easy to make and taste just like the store-bought favorite candy!
- 2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon melted coconut oil
- 4 tablespoons brown rice syrup
- 1 teaspoon peppermint extract
- Dash of sea salt
- 6 ounce package vegan dark chocolate chips
- Sift powdered sugar into the bowl of a stand mixer, then add the rest of the ingredients, except the chocolate chips.
- Mix until a crumbly dough forms. Squeeze into a ball with your hands and transfer to a sheet of plastic wrap laid out on counter. Roll into a 1″ in diameter log with your hands. Wrap tightly in the plastic wrap and transfer to the refrigerator for 30 minutes to 1 hour.
- As you are ready to make your patties, melt the chocolate chips in the microwave or on the stovetop with a double boiler.
- Slice the peppermint filling into 1/3″ discs, reshaping into a circle with your hands if needed. (The dough may tend to be flat on one side after chilling in the fridge.) You should be able to make around 25-30 patties from the dough.
- Use a fork to flip the dough into the chocolate evenly coating both sides. Transfer to a parchment paper lined sheet pan. Once all the dough is made into patties and coated in chocolate, transfer to the refrigerator and chill until the chocolate is set, about 30-45 minutes. Sprinkle with salt or crushed peppermint candies.
***A note about the sugar: Choose a powdered sugar that is labelled vegan as most white and powdered sugars are processed with bone char to help de-colorize them.***