These vegan peppermint sugar cookies are soft, chewy and full of delicious peppermint flavor. Drizzle with dark chocolate and a sprinkle of crushed candy canes to finish. Perfect for any holiday cookie exchange!
Are you tired of Christmas cookies yet? I have one more recipe for you that you need to make this season before the Christmas cookie craze is over! These vegan peppermint sugar cookies are super simple to make and need no chilling before they can be baked. (Cause if I’m being honest, I often skip over cookie recipes that need chilled before baking – don’t have time for that!) This was actually my first time testing out a cookie recipe with vegan butter and I was so impressed with it!
Ingredients You’ll Need for these Vegan Peppermint Sugar Cookies
- Vegan Butter: My favorite butter for baking is Miyokos brand butter. It has the best flavor of any vegan butters I have tried!
- Granulated Sugar: You’ll use this in the cookies as well as a few extra tablespoons for pressing the cookies before baking.
- All Purpose Flour: You can also use a combination of all purpose and whole wheat flour (see below). I haven’t tested these with gluten free flour, but I normally have good success using Bob’s Red Mill 1:1 gluten free baking flour.
- Peppermint Flavor/Extract: Adds all that yummy peppermint flavor to these cookies. A little goes a long way!
- Vanilla Extract: You can’t make cookies without a little vanilla extract.
- Baking Soda
- Sea Salt: I like using a fine sea salt for baking.
- Vegan Chocolate: I usually use some vegan chocolate chips for the drizzle but you could also melt a bar of dark chocolate.
- Peppermint Candy: Use either crushed peppermint candies or candy canes for sprinkling on the finished cookies.
The peppermint extract in the dough gives these cookies a subtle peppermint flavor on the their own if you don’t feel like drizzling them in chocolate and adding the peppermint candy. (I highly recommend that you do though!) Although I love cookies with frosting, I usually don’t have the time (OR… I’m feeling too lazy) to make frosting for cookies. So, I found that chocolate drizzle saves the day! I can make plain sugar cookies like these look fabulous without taking the time to make frosting.
How to Store Peppermint Sugar Cookies
These cookies keep well for up to a week in a sealed container. It’s best if they are kept in the refrigerator or a cool place to keep the chocolate from melting. Otherwise, you can freeze them once baked where they will keep much longer.
MORE VEGAN COOKIE RECIPES TO CHECK OUT:
- Giant Double Chocolate Cookies (Vegan, Gluten Free)
- Vegan Almond Flour Thumbprint Cookies
- Vegan Peanut Butter Cookies
Vegan Peppermint Sugar Cookies
- 1 cup granulated white sugar
- 1 cup vegan butter I used Miyokos vegan butter, room temperature
- 2 1/3 cups all-purpose flour OR 1 cup all purpose flour + 1 1/3 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup vegan chocolate chips melted
- 1/3 cup crushed peppermint candy
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Line baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Add the sugar and softened vegan butter to the mixing bowl. Mix on high until fluffy.
- Add the flour, baking soda, peppermint, and vanilla. Mix until dough forms.
- Form dough into 1/2 inch balls and arrange on cookie sheet. Dip a glass in sugar and press cookie flat. (Repeat dipping glass into sugar and flattening cookies.)
- Bake for 8-10 minutes or until slightly puffy with edges just light brown.
- Allow to cook 5-7 minutes on the baking sheet before transferring to cooling rack. (This allows the cookies to firm up a little more before transferring to a rack.)
- When the cookies have cooled completely, melt the chocolate chips in the microwave. Drizzle over cooked and sprinkle with crushed peppermint candy. Transfer to the fridge 10 minutes to set the chocolate.
- Store in an airtight container or ziplock bag for up to a week. Freeze well!