Oh my goodness, I am so excited to tell you about this salad. Blueberry season is finally here and this salad is the perfect way to highlight their deliciousness. In fact, I put them on top of this salad as well as in the dressing. Mmm…
The best part about kale salads is that the flavors get even better when you serve the leftovers. I made this huge salad for myself and have been doling out single servings into containers for my lunch at work. It makes lunch prep when I am still half asleep in the mornings super easy!
In addition to being delicious, this salad is a nutrition powerhouse!
- Kale: We all know now that kale is super good for you. One cup of chopped raw kale has over 100% of your nutrient needs for Vitamins A, C, and K. That one serving has only 33 calories too.
- Blueberries: These cute berries are high in polyphenols which research indicates play an active role in alleviating inflammation. Most recently, research has linked blueberries with a slower rate of cognitive decline with age.
- Hazelnuts: Hazelnuts are super high in a nutrient called manganese. Although you don’t hear much about it, manganese plays an active role in metabolism, bone development, and wound healing. Hazelnuts are also a good source of heart healthy monounsaturated fats.
- Barley: Barley supports intestinal health in two ways: (1) it adds bulk to stool alleviating constipation and (2) feeds gut bacteria which break it down into short chain fatty acids to fuel the intestinal cells lining your gut.
Blueberries, kale, and hazelnuts pair perfectly in this delicious summer salad that is packed with antioxidants.
- FOR THE DRESSING:
- 1/3 cup fresh blueberries
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 5 tablespoons olive oil
- Dash of Salt and Pepper
- FOR THE SALAD:
- 1 cup barley
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 2/3 cup hazelnuts
- 4 cups chopped kale
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- 2 ounces crumbled feta cheese
- Combine the barley, water, and broth in a small saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a rolling boil, then cover and turn heat down to low. Simmer for 20-30 minutes or until most of the liquid has been absorbed and the barley is softened. Reserve 1 cup of cooked barley for the salad and store the rest.(Note: You’ll have leftovers which you can use for dinner the next day!)
- Heat a non-stick skillet over medium heat. Add the hazelnuts and roast for 5-7 minutes or until aromatic. Set aside to cool. Once cooled, use a folded towel to rub the skins off of the hazelnuts.
- Wash the kale, cut out the stems, and chop into 1″ pieces.
- To prepare the dressing, pour all the ingredients into a blender. (If your blender has a single serving cup, that works best.) Puree until smooth.
- To make the salad, put the kale into a bowl, top with blueberries, barley, hazelnuts, and feta cheese. Pour dressing over top and toss to coat.