Berry season is in full swing so it’s the perfect time to let them shine in simple salads like this beet and berry salad with poppyseed dressing. Every weekend, we’ve been bringing home quarts of strawberries from the farmer’s market that are just bursting with flavor. I’ve been snacking on them, tossing them in smoothies and on my yogurt, and now adding them to salads.
I can’t take credit for this recipe, it was actually created by one of my fellow Recipe Redux-ers! The Recipe Redux is celebrating 5 years of connecting healthy bloggers and the theme for this month was to make a recipe from another reduxer’s blog. Last year, I had the opportunity to meet Alex from Delish Knowledge at the Blog Brûlée conference. I had long admired and read her blog and was so excited to finally get to meet her in person! She was just as lovely as I imagined from reading her posts over the years. I even had the opportunity to take one of her yoga classes at that conference. (She’s obviously much cooler than me!)Alex is also a vegetarian blogger with lots of delicious veg-friendly recipes! I feel like I tend to publish more tex-mex inspired dishes, while she is a pro at Italian-inspired recipes. In fact, she recently wrote a cookbook on that very thing called, Fresh Italian Cooking for the New Generation: 100 Full-Flavored Vegetarian Dishes that Prove You Can Stay Slim While Eating Pasta and Bread. You can preorder it on Amazon now! She also has a private RD practice and just created a 6-week intuitive eating program with two other fabulous dietitians. Honestly, I don’t know how she does it all! 😉
One last thing about the salad, the only changes I made to Alex’s original recipe was to use chopped roasted almonds (that’s what I always have on hand!), spinach instead of arugula (again what I had on hand), and added some crumbled goat cheese (leave this off if you want to keep it vegan!). Definitely make the poppyseed dressing yourself – it really sets this salad apart.Print
Let your fresh market berries shine in this beet and berry salad with poppyseed dressing from Alex at Delish Knowledge.
For the Salad:
- 2 medium beets
- 1 tsp. olive oil
- 6 cups arugula or chopped spinach
- 1 cup strawberries, sliced
- ¾ cup blueberries
- ⅓ cup slivered or chopped almonds
- 1/3 cup crumbled goat cheese
For the Dressing:
- 3 tbsp. mayo (Use egg-free like Veganaise for vegan version)
- 2 tsp. dijon mustard
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp. lemon juice
- 1 tbsp. 100% pure maple syrup
- 1 shallot, finely minced
- 1 tbsp. poppy seeds
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Scrub each beet to remove any dirt. Wrap each individually in a sheet of aluminum foil and roast until tender, about 1 hour.
- Once cool enough to handle, remove the foil and peel off the skin. Thinly slice. (If needed, the beets can be made up to 4 days ahead of time.)
- In a large bowl, toss together the arugula/spinach, sliced beets, strawberries, blueberries, almonds, and goat cheese.
- In a small bowl, whisk together mayo, dijon mustard, olive oil, apple cider vinegar, lemon juice, maple syrup, shallot and poppy seed. Season to taste with salt/pepper.
- Divide salad among 4 plates and drizzle on dressing.
[inlinkz_linkup id=635322 mode=1]