This healthy one-pot cauliflower stew with curry takes only 30 minutes to make so it is the perfect dish for busy weeknights. Serve this tasty stew over your choice of grain or rice to round out the meal. #vegan #glutenfree
I have been itching to create another one pot meal for the blog and I immediately fell hard for this healthy one-pot cauliflower curry. Like all of you, life is busy and I don’t always have a lot of time to get dinner on the table but I want to still eat something healthy that tastes good. One-pot dinners like this cauliflower curry are here for you! All you need to recreate it is a handful of simple ingredients, half of which you probably already have in your pantry. If you don’t have a large, deep skillet, I would use a saucepan or dutch oven to whip up this curry.
What is this cauliflower stew with curry made out of?
This cauliflower stew isn’t just easy to make in one pot, but you also only need a couple of ingredients to make it for dinner tonight! The fresh ingredients you’ll need include: yellow onion, garlic, cauliflower, kale, and cilantro. Feel free to switch up the veggies here too. Don’t have kale? Use fresh spinach instead. You could even add more veggies like peas or potatoes or carrots, etc. Don’t have fresh veggies on hand? Frozen cauliflower works great too. To complete the dish, you’ll combine those veggies with a few pantry staples like: canned diced tomatoes, coconut milk, chickpeas, and curry powder.
Is curry healthy?
Yes! One of the things I love about curry dishes like this one is that they are loaded with vegetables. Sneak in some plant-based protein with the addition of the chickpeas to make it a complete meal when served over your favorite grain or rice. Also, curry powder is loaded with antioxidants, which are important for scavenging free radicals that cause the cell damage that contributes to chronic disease.
What is curry powder?
Curry powder is one of those spices that I always try to keep in my pantry for dishes just like this one! Cauliflower and curry powder are a match made in heaven. (Check out this blood orange moroccan salad for another curry-cauliflower recipe!) Curry powder is a blend of a variety of spices such as: coriander, cumin, turmeric, fenugreek, mustard, and chili peppers.
Looking for other healthy, easy meals?
- Vegan Peanut Curry with Chickpeas and Sweet Potato
- Quick and Easy Vegan Stroganoff
- Vegan Cashew “Chicken” Stir Fry
This healthy one-pot cauliflower stew with curry takes only 30 minutes to make so it is the perfect dish for busy weeknights. Serve this tasty curry over your choice of grain or rice to round out the meal.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion (~1/2 onion)
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika (optional)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 6 cups chopped cauliflower
- 2 (14.5 oz) cans diced tomatoes
- 1 (13.5 oz) can coconut milk
- 1 (15 oz) can or 2 cups cooked chickpeas (drained)
- 3 cups chopped kale
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt (adjust to taste as needed)
- Garnish with fresh cilantro
- Add olive oil to a large, deep skillet over medium-high heat.
- Stir in onion, curry powder, and smoked paprika (if using) and cook for 2-3 minutes or until onion is translucent and tender.
- Stir in garlic and cook for another minute.
- Add cauliflower and sauté for 3-4 minutes. Stir in the tomatoes and coconut milk. Bring to a simmer and cook for 12-15 minutes.
- Stir in the chickpeas, chopped kale, and salt. Cook another 2-3 minutes until kale is wilted and tender.
- Serve over your favorite grain and garnish with fresh cilantro.
Recipe makes ~8 cups of curry.
- Serving Size: 1 1/2 cups
- Calories: 330 kcals
- Sugar: 8.5 g
- Sodium: 455 mg
- Fat: 24 g
- Saturated Fat: 15.5 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 8.5 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 26 g
- Fiber: 9 g
- Protein: 8.5 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg