This recipe for teriyaki tempeh and broccoli stir fry is the perfect dish for a busy weeknight meal that is also vegan and gluten free. Serve this one pot dish with brown rice for a quick and easy meal.
We don’t love spending a lot of time in the kitchen in the summer and find ourselves turning towards more quick and easy meals like this teriyaki tempeh and broccoli stir fry. No one really wants to turn on their oven so another healthy meal that can be cooked just on the stove-top is always a winner, especially when it is just one-pan too!
Teriyaki Tempeh Recipe Tips
- I like using a cast iron skillet for this dish, but feel free to use any large non-stick skillet you have at home.
- If you have never tried tempeh before, this is a great recipe to introduce you to this great plant-based protein! I’ve also included links below to some other tasty tempeh recipes on the blog to try.
- How to cut your tempeh for the nice triangle shape** – Cut your tempeh into 8 pieces and then cut each piece into a triangle. Turn each piece onto its side and slice it in half to make two thinner triangles.
- For those who may need to watch your sodium intake, teriyaki sauce can be very high in sodium. Look for a reduced sodium variety in the store. A few brands that offer lower sodium options that I’ve come across include: Fody Foods, Mrs. Dash, and Primal Kitchen.
- For something different, I used the spiralizer end of my vegetable peeler to make the smaller carrot string shapes in the photos. You can also just cut your carrots into thin coins or match sticks.
What is tempeh?
Tempeh is a soy product that originated in Indonesia. It is made by taking whole soybeans, soaking them until softened, slightly cooking them, and then fermenting them so that they form a solid block. Unlike tofu, tempeh is minimally processed, so the soybeans are intact in the final product. The outside texture of the tempeh has a white film which is totally normal. Have more questions about plant based protein? Make sure to check out my ultimate vegan protein guide!
What to serve with Teriyaki Tempeh
We love to have this teriyaki tempeh stir fry over rice topped with some sesame seeds, chopped cilantro, and a squirt of sriracha sauce. You could also add some chopped green onions too.
More great recipes using tempeh!
- Vegan Tempeh Nachos
- Mexican Tempeh Skillet (Vegetarian)
- Spicy Tempeh Stuffed Peppers (Vegetarian)
- BBQ Tempeh and Ranch Kale Bowl
Teriyaki Tempeh and Broccoli Stir Fry
- 1 1/2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 large head broccoli chopped
- 8 oz package tempeh cut into 1" pieces and then sliced into triangles
- 3-4 medium carrots peeled and thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup vegan teriyaki sauce
- To serve: sesame seeds cilantro, green onions, sriracha, rice
- Add oil to a skillet over medium high heat. Add tempeh and cook on one side until golden brown, about 2-3 minutes. Flip each piece and cook another 1-3 minutes on the opposite side until golden brown. Remove tempeh from pan and set aside.
- Add the broccoli and carrots to the same pan and sauté over medium-high heat for 2-3 minutes and then cover with a lid for the last 8-10 minutes or until they are fork tender.
- Add the teriyaki sauce to the pan with the broccoli and sauté for 2-3 minutes. Stir in the tempeh and toss so that it is well coated in sauce.
- Remove from heat and sprinkle with desired toppings. Serve over rice.