This easy BBQ tempeh recipe is great for anyone who is trying tempeh for the first time! Stir fry the tempeh in a non-stick skillet until golden brown and then toss in your favorite vegan BBQ sauce – simple and oh so delicious.
You guys, I have been crushing hard on this easy BBQ tempeh these days! This easy bbq tempeh recipe is one of our favorite ways to enjoy tempeh during the week. It’s a simple recipe that makes a great weeknight dinner option. We probably have it in our dinner rotation at least once a week!
Step By Step Instructions
STEP 1: First, you’ll want to chop your tempeh into bite-sized pieces. My favorite way to cut tempeh for dishes is into triangles. Start by cutting the tempeh block in half lengthwise. Then, slice into 1 inch strips vertically. Cut each of those into 1 inch squares, then cut each square into a triangle. Turn each triangle shape onto it’s side and cut them into 2 thinner pieces.
STEP 2: Next, you’ll want to steam your tempeh with a steamer basket in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat for 10 minutes. I find that since the barbecue sauce has such a strong flavor, you can probably skip this step.
STEP 3: Add some soil to a non-stick skillet and saute the tempeh until golden brown, about 3-5 minutes on each side. Turn off the heat and stir in the barbecue sauce and then serve!
How to Remove Bitter Taste from Tempeh
Some people find that tempeh can have a bitter taste. The best way to remove the bitter flavor is to steam the tempeh for a few minutes in a steamer basket. After that, use your tempeh according to the recipe directions – no more bitterness! However, I find that I can often skip the steaming step in recipes like this one with a flavorful barbecue sauce.
Is Tempeh Healthier than Tofu?
Although tofu is definitely the more popular of the two, they are both great high-protein plant-based foods! We use both in recipes a lot in our house and each has its own health benefits. Both are made from soy, but tempeh contains the whole soybean so it is higher in fiber vs tofu which is made from soy milk.
What Type of BBQ Sauce Do You Recommend?
Honestly, use whichever bbq sauce that you love! There are a million different flavor variations for BBQ sauce from smoky to sweet to spicy. I honestly don’t have a specific favorite, but some that we have liked in the past include Sweet Baby Ray’s and Lillie’s BBQ. If vegan, you’ll want to double-check the ingredients list to make sure that there is no honey in the sauce.
What to serve with BBQ Tempeh
There are so many great side options for this BBQ tempeh. We love eating in the summer months over top of a large salad or beside some grilled or roasted vegetables like this roasted sweet potatoes and broccoli recipe. My vegan broccoli macaroni and cheese recipe would be a perfect side! You could also add it to a wrap with some lettuce, shredded carrots, pickled red onion, and my homemade vegan ranch dressing.
How to make a BBQ Tempeh Bowl
One of my favorite ways to enjoy bbq tempeh is a bowl meal like the one above with quinoa and roasted veggies. To make it, preheat your oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit, chop a variety of veggies (I used sweet potato, broccoli, red pepper, and onion), and toss with olive oil, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, salt and pepper.
Bake your veggies until tender. While that bakes, make your quinoa and the bbq tempeh. To serve, drizzle it all with a bit of homemade ranch dressing. So good!
More Deliciuos Tempeh Recipes
- Buffalo Tempeh Wrap
- Tempeh Wrap with Peanut Sauce
- Buffalo Tempeh Salads
- Vegan Tempeh Lettuce Cups
- Sticky Tempeh Bowl
Did you love this recipe? Make sure to leave a ⭐️ rating and tag #dietitiandebbie on instagram!
Easy BBQ Tempeh
- 1 (8 oz) package tempeh
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1/2 cup vegan barbecue sauce
- Cut tempeh into small triangles. Add to a steamer basket and steam if desired.
- Add oil to a non-stick skillet and toss in the tempeh.
- Cook undisturbed over medium-high heat until the first side is golden brown, about 3-5 minutes. Flip each piece and cook on the second side until golden brown.
- Turn off the heat and stir in your favorite barbecue sauce. Serve with roasted vegetables or in your favorite salad.
- Bitter tempeh? Just steam the tempeh for a few minutes in a steamer basket. After that, use your tempeh according to the recipe directions – no more bitterness!
- Serving suggestions: Add a large salad or roasted vegetables like this roasted sweet potatoes and broccoli recipe. My vegan broccoli macaroni and cheese recipe would also be a perfect side! Add it to a wrap with some lettuce, shredded carrots, pickled red onion, and my homemade vegan ranch dressing.
- Storage: store any leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.