This vegan roasted butternut squash soup has become my favorite soup for fall. It’s super simple to whip up as everything is just roasted on a sheet pan and then blended up in the blender!
The chill of fall is in the air and it has got me craving this vegan roasted butternut squash soup! I have tried making butternut squash soup in the past on the stovetop but was always a little disappointed in the flavor. Things changed when I switched it up and roasted the butternut squash in the oven before pureeing it into a soup. Roasting the squash along with the onion and garlic gives this soup so much more flavor. Plus, the roasting brings out the natural sweetness in the squash so you don’t have to add any sweetener like maple syrup to the soup.
This soup is great for making ahead and tastes even better the day after you make it. The flavors compliment your traditional Thanksgiving dishes well so this soup would be a great addition to your holiday meal.
Tips for Making Vegan Butternut Squash Soup
- Peel your butternut squash and chop it into uniformly sized pieces so it cooks at the same rate in the oven.
- Cut the onion into large wedges and toss with the squash in oil to coat.
- Once everything is fork tender, transfer to the blender with the coconut milk and broth. Puree until smooth. When pureeing, be sure to leave the vent lid open and cover with a towel to allow steam to escape!
- Add more or less broth depending on how thick/thin you like your soup. I found that 2 1/2 cups of broth was my sweet spot, but you may prefer more or less.
- Coconut milk (full fat) adds some richness to the soup that normally comes from cream. I can’t taste the coconut in the finished soup, but you can use unsweetened, plain soy milk if you prefer.
What to Serve with this Vegan Roasted Butternut Squash Soup
- Serve with a hunk of sourdough bread for dipping.
- A great side dish for a plant-based/vegan Thanksgiving dinner!
- You can’t go wrong with soup and salad. Might I suggest this cara cara orange and arugula salad?
- Pair it with a sandwich or wrap for a tasty lunch you can pack for work/school like I did with the leftovers!
Looking for more soup recipes?
Vegan Roasted Butternut Squash Soup
- 1 butternut squash 2 1/2-3 lb, peeled and chopped
- 1 small yellow onion quartered
- 3-4 cloves garlic
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup coconut milk + extra for garnish can also use lite coconut milk or plain, unsweetened soy milk
- To serve: pumpkin seeds parsley
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Add squash, onion, garlic, olive oil, nutmeg, thyme, salt, and pepper to a large mixing bowl. Toss to coat in oil and spices.
- Transfer to a large sheet pan and bake for 45-50 minutes or until squash is fork tender.
- Transfer to a blender, add broth, and 1/2 cup coconut milk. (Make sure to leave pour top open to vent.) Puree until smooth. Taste and add more salt if needed.
- Garnish with coconut milk, pumpkin seeds, parsley.