Fall vegetables are tossed in a simple balsamic herb marinade with garlic and Italian seasoning and then roasted on a sheet pan until caramelized. These balsamic herb roasted vegetables make a simple side dish for any cozy winter meal.
As soon as the leaves turn and the temperature starts to hover around freezing, I start making roasted vegetables again. I feel like it’s the easiest way to add a vegetable side to a meal. These balsamic herb roasted vegetables are a favorite around here! (Well, it’s a toss up between this recipe and my roasted sweet potatoes and broccoli!)
I plan on making these all winter long as a simple side dish for vegan sausage and rice or a potato. Thanksgiving is just around the corner and these balsamic herb roasted vegetables would be a great side dish for that too.
What vegetables should you use for this recipe?
I used butternut squash, carrots, Brussels sprouts, and red onion for this version but you could easily sub in other veggies you may have on hand like: parsnip, rutabaga, eggplant, green beans, etc.
How to Make these Roasted Vegetables
To start, you want to make the simple balsamic herb marinade which has vegan butter, olive oil, balsamic vinegar, Italian seasoning, granulated garlic, sea salt, and ground black pepper. After you melt the butter, whisk in the rest of the ingredients to make the marinade.
Next, you’ll cut all your vegetables into similar size pieces and add them to a large bowl.
Pour the marinade on top and toss to coat all the vegetables in the marinade. Transfer it all to a baking sheet and bake for 50-60 minutes or until root vegetables are fork tender.
What to Serve with these Roasted Vegetables
For a simple dinner meal, we just pair these balsamic herb roasted vegetables with a Tofurky vegan sausage and a serving of Trader Joe’s cauliflower gnocchi.
However, these veggies would also be great alongside something like these vegan meatballs with mushroom gravy.
More vegetable side dish recipes
- BEST Vegetarian Stuffing
- Roasted cauliflower, feta, and lentil salad
- Rosemary roasted carrots
- Winter kale salad
- Oven roasted cabbage with tahini sauce
- Roasted sweet potatoes and broccoli
- Curry roasted vegetables
Balsamic Herb Roasted Vegetables
- 4 1/2 cups peeled and cubed butternut squash
- 3 carrots peeled and cut into 2″ pieces (thick pieces halved)
- 15 – 20 Brussels sprouts halved (tough stem and yellowed leaves removed)
- 1/2 large red onion cut into large wedges
- 1 tablespoon vegan butter melted (I like Miyokos vegan butter)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Peel and chop vegetables into similar size pieces. Add to a large mixing bowl.
- In a small mixing bowl, melt the vegan butter and then whisk in the olive oil, vinegar, Italian seasoning, garlic, salt, and black pepper.
- Pour marinade over chopped vegetables. Toss with a wooden spoon to coat the vegetables evenly.
- Transfer to a sheet pan and roast for 30-40 minutes or until vegetables are browned and fork tender.
- Once it has cooled enough, taste and add more sea salt and black pepper if needed.