This vegetarian bolognese made with mushrooms and tempeh is a hearty and filling dish when served over cheesy polenta. Perfect for chilly, rainy days.
My regular Tuesday/Thursday posting schedule was a bit off this week since I couldn’t wait to share that smoky cheddar popcorn recipe! Also, Will and I spent Wednesday evening having our engagement photos taken in Humboldt park. With all the rain of late, we had to battle quite a few mosquitos but it will be totally worth it in the end though.
I can’t wait to see how they turn out! (We went with Mark Trela Photography in case you too are looking for a photographer.) I’m happy to now be able to cross one thing off my list as we slowly but surely make our unconventional wedding plans.
In other news… this vegetarian bolognese is the brain child of several consecutive rainy days here in Chicago. I was looking for something hearty and filling and this dish is just that. In fact, we’ve already made it a few times!
The leftovers are great for taking along to work the next day as well. The other great thing about this dish is that you only need two pans – one for the bolognese and one for the polenta. Less mess makes this dish a great one to add to your weeknight rotation.
You can easily adapt this dish to make it vegan by replacing the milk in the polenta with non-dairy milk or vegetable broth and omitting the cheese. Either way, this bolognese dish is packed with filling protein, fiber, and heart healthy fat.
More Healthy Dinner Recipes You’ll Love
- Easy Vegan Skillet Lasagna
- Easy Vegan Pasta with Summer Vegetables
- Vegan Stuffed Shells
- Seitan and Mushrooms with Polenta
- Vegan Sausage and Kale Pasta
Did you love this recipe? Make sure to leave a ⭐️ rating and tag #dietitiandebbie on instagram!
- Bolognese:1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped yellow onion ~1/2 onion
- 2 stalks celery chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped carrots ~4 whole
- 2 1/2 cups chopped mushrooms ~10 oz.
- 8 ounce package tempeh
- 1 14.5 ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 5 ounce can tomato paste
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 3/4 cup red wine
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 3-4 chopped fresh basil leaves
- Cheesy Polenta:1 cup coarse cornmeal
- 1/2 cup plain unsweetened soy milk
- 2 cups water
- 1/3 cup shredded cheese vegan or dairy cheese both work – parmesan is great!
- To make the polenta, combine the 1/2 cup milk with 2 cups water in a medium-size saucepan. Bring to a boil and then whisk in the cornmeal, stirring well to prevent any clumps. Turn the heat to low and continue to stir until thick, about 10-15 minutes. Turn off the heat and add the cheese. Stir cheese into mixture until it has melted. Cover and set aside.
- In a large skillet or stock pot, heat the olive oil for 1 minute. Add the onion, celery, carrots, mushrooms, and tempeh. Stir fry for 7-10 minutes or until all the moisture from the mushrooms is cooked off and the onion is translucent.
- Add the tomatoes, tomato paste, red wine, and vegetable broth. Bring to a simmer for ~15-20 minutes or until vegetables are tender and sauce has thickened.
- Stir in the garlic, thyme, basil, and oregano. Cook another 1-2 minutes.
- Serve over warm polenta and top with additional cheese or chopped basil leaves.