A nutrient packed veggie burger with a ton of flavor, you’ve got to make these vegetarian beet veggie burgers with garlic sriracha aioli! All you need are a few simple ingredients like beets, sweet potatoes, walnuts, and eggs to recreate these healthy burgers at home.
As a vegetarian, I have had my fair share of veggie burgers – both good and bad. They can be bland, dry, crumbly… but these burgers. Let me just tell you about these beet burgers. When I first came across a couple of recipes for beet burgers on different blogs I was skeptical. I’m a big fan of beets, but wasn’t sure they were really suited for burgers. I gave it a try anyway and now I am a total convert!
I think beet burgers may be the only veggie burger I will ever make again! Seriously, they were really good. In this case I added a mashed sweet potato to help bind the shredded beets and other ingredients together. To top it off, Will made a delicious garlic sriracha aioli. Now, I’m usually very anti-mayonnaise/aioli, but lots of garlic and sriracha made me a fan of this version. The mayo recipe below makes a cup, so you’ll have plenty leftover for other uses.
Are these vegetarian beet burgers healthy?
Not only is this burger delicious, but it is also packed with lots of nutrients!
- Beets are loaded with healthy antioxidants. However, unlike other dark red/purple vegetables like cabbage which are high in the antioxidant called anthocyanin, beets (especially red beets) contain betalain. Betalain provides anti-inflammatory benefits and also supports that Phase 2 detoxification process that occurs in the liver.
- Sweet potatoes are loaded with Vitamin A helps fight the development of free radicals.
- Ground walnuts add some protein to this burger which it would otherwise be lacking. Walnuts are a great source of many nutrients like vitamin E, Omega 3 fatty acids, magnesium, and phosphorus.
More Summer Recipes You’ll Love
- Vegan BBQ Veggie Burger
- Grilled Tofu Kebabs with Red Pepper Sauce
- Vegan Tempeh Sloppy Joes
- Apricot, Berry, and Nectarine Fruit Salad
- Raspberry Nectarine Popsicles
Did you love this recipe? Make sure to leave a ⭐️ rating and tag #dietitiandebbie on instagram!
Beet Burgers with Garlic Sriracha Aioli
For the Burgers
For the Aioli
- 6 hamburger buns, ketchup, mustard, pickles, lettuce, tomatoes
- To prepare the burgers:Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Poke the sweet potato with a fork and cook in the microwave until tender, about 5 minutes. Set aside.
- Peel the beets and shred them with a box grater. Place shredded beets into a large mixing bowl.
- Puree walnuts in a food processor until finely ground – about the texture of couscous.
- Peel the skin off the sweet potato and mash in a small bowl with a fork. Toss into the mixing bowl with the beets.
- Add egg, onion, paprika, garlic, vinegar, Worcestershire, and ground walnuts to the beets. Stir well.
- Form into six 4-inch patties and place on a greased cookie sheet. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until the begin to darken in color.
- To prepare the aioli: Pplace egg yolk into a food processor with a pour spout and run on high speed. Combine the canola and olive oil into a measuring glass and pour a slow, steady stream into the food processor while it is still running. (The slower you add to start, the better.)
- Continue to add the oil until the mayo starts to thicken. If it isn’t thickened to your liking after adding the initial cup of oil, add up to 1/4 cup more.
- Now, add the vinegar, sriracha, and garlic to your aioli in the food processor. Puree for a couple of pulses and serve!
- Assembly:Assemble burgers by placing a beet patty on top of one half of the bun and topping with 1 tablespoon of aioli, lettuce, tomato, avocado, etc.