Enjoy a glass of this ginger zinger green juice made with spinach, ginger, apple, cucumber, and lime and reap the benefits of vitamins A and C as well as cancer fighting phytochemicals.
If you read my juice vs. smoothie post last week, you knew this recipe was coming! Green juices can be a way to incorporate an extra dose of the healthy nutrients from fruits and vegetables into your diet. Since you are removing all the fiber, you drastically decrease the volume so you end up with a concentrated source of the nutrients from the produce.
A lot of people think that they need to invest in an expensive juicer to start making green juices at home, but that isn’t the case! Will and I have a pretty small kitchen, so the addition of a bulky juicer just isn’t a possibility. Instead, you can easily make the same juice using your regular blender and some cheesecloth or a nut milk bag.
Health Benefits of this Green Juice Recipe
- Spinach | Spinach is an excellent source of Vitamins A and K. Vitamin A is a powerful antioxidant and plays an important role in eye health and gene expression. Vitamin K helps maintain healthy bones.
- Ginger | Ginger gets its distinctive peppery-sweet flavor from the active compounds in the root called gingerols which also offer potent anti-inflammatory and anti-oxidative benefits. In fact, in some clinical trials, patients with osteoarthritis who regularly consumed ginger reported a significant reduction in joint paint and swelling. Cell studies in the lab have found that ginger can inhibit the growth of ovarian and colon cancer cells. Both show promising benefits of including ginger in your diet.
- Cucumber | Cucumbers are also a good source of Vitamin K. They also contain the phytochemicals, cucurbitacins, which have shown promising results in lab studies where it induced cancer cell death.
- Apple | Apples are a good source of Vitamin C as one apple typically proves at least 10% of the RDA. In addition, apples are high in polyphenols, like quercetin, which act as antioxidants. In fact, the antioxidants in apples seem to especially target the fat oxidation that can happen along arteries to help decrease risk of oxidative damage which leads to clogged arteries.
- Lime | Limes are a great source of Vitamin C which plays an important role in supporting a healthy immune system as well as collagen synthesis for more healthy, supple skin.
This ginger zinger green juice has become a favorite recipe of mine. I’ll usually make one on the weekend to sip on with my breakfast.
Ginger Zinger Green Juice
- 2 cups fresh spinach leaves
- 1 apple I used Pink Lady variety
- 1 Cucumber
- 1 in peeled fresh ginger root
- 1 lime juiced
- Combine all of the ingredients in your blender and puree until smooth.
- Pour the pureed greens into a cheesecloth layered over a strainer set over a bowl and wrap up the four corners of the cheese cloth and twist to seal. (See above.)
- Twist and squeeze the cheesecloth with your hands to release all the juice leaving just the pulp behind in the cheesecloth.
- Serve with or without ice in a glass. This recipe should make about 10 ounces worth of juice.
Make this recipe?
Share it with me on Instagram @dietitiandebbie and tag me #dietitiandebbie
Comments & Reviews
Hi there, can this Juice be frozen? I want to make a batch for a friend who is suffering with cancer, thanks
Dietitian Debbie says
Yes – you should be able to freeze this juice.