Looking for a delicious, savory breakfast option for brunch? This vegan spinach quiche with JUST Egg with <10 ingredients is my new favorite way to start the day with my cup of coffee! This easy recipe is packed with plant-based protein, fiber, and flavor.
This post was originally published March 2017; updated March 2023.
JUST Egg makes whipping up delicious vegan quiche recipes at home so easy! I had been making vegan quiche with silken tofu in the past which meant I had to dig out my food processor to make it and do a bunch of extra dishes. In this spinach quiche recipe with the vegan egg substitute JUST egg, you’ll just sauté your veggies, mix them with your JUST egg, and cheese and bake!
We’re using a store-bought crust for an even simpler preparation for this vegan JUST egg quiche. I added red onion, red peppers, and spinach to this version for tons of flavor, color, and fiber. However, you can switch up that add-ins based on your preferences.
Why You’ll Love this Recipe
- With less than 10 minutes of active cooking time, you’ll find that this quiche is an easy recipe to whip up for any brunch gathering with friends or family.
- Easily customizable with a variety of different veggies and cheese combinations for the filling.
- This recipe is vegan, egg free, and dairy free. You can easily make a gluten-free quiche as well by using a gluten free pie crust.
What is JUST Egg?
JUST Egg is a liquid plant-based alternative to eggs that is made from yellow mung beans. It scrambles just like chicken eggs and can be used as a vegan-friendly alternative to eggs in a variety of dishes like this quiche as well as omelettes, frittata and more. You can usually find JUST egg products in the dairy/egg aisle or vegan section of the grocery store.
Ingredients You’ll Need
- Just Egg: You’ll use an entire bottle of Just Egg as the main ingredient for this quiche. It adds all the classic texture of an egg based quiche but with no animal products!
- Veggies: For color, I use red onion and red bell pepper. You’ll also use a full 5 oz package of fresh spinach – it cooks down so much that it all fits! You can use other veggies if you prefer like: zucchini, mushrooms, corn, etc.
- Vegan Cheese: for a little cheesiness, I like to add some shredded vegan cheddar cheese. You can really use any vegan cheese like vegan mozzarella that you like in this quiche.
- Black Salt (Kala Namak): a little bit of black salt goes a long way. To get that classic eggy taste in this vegan quiche, you’ll want to use this secret ingredient. Pick up some black salt from Amazon for all your vegan egg recipes. Don’t have black salt? Just use some sea salt instead.
- Vegan Pie Crust: to make this quiche super simple, we just use a pre-made vegan pie crust from the freezer. I really like the one from Wholly Wholesome. You can also use homemade pie crust or puff pastry.
- Tomato, Pesto & Feta: add a couple of tablespoons of pesto to the egg mixture, a handful of chopped cherry tomatoes, and replace the shredded vegan cheddar with 1/3 cup crumbled vegan feta.
- Sausage: add a couple of chopped vegan breakfast sausages to the quiche egg mixture before baking. You could also try it with vegan bacon instead of vegan sausage.
- Broccoli & Cheddar: replace the chopped pepper and spinach with 1 1/2 cups fresh broccoli chopped into small pieces.
Step by Step
Step One: Add the olive oil, red onion, and chopped bell peppers to a skillet over medium heat and sauté until tender. Stir in the chopped fresh spinach and sauté until wilted.
Step Two: Add the sautéed veggies, Just Egg, black salt, and cheese to a large bowl and stir to combine.
Step Three: Pour Just Egg mixture into the pie shell and bake for 35-40 minutes until center of the quiche is firm and the top has started to brown.
Step Four: Allow to cool for about 5-10 minutes before cutting to serve! Garnish with fresh herbs like chives if desired.
- No need to pre-bake/blind bake the crust: I’ve made this quiche a few times and I found there was no need to pre-bake the pre-made pie crust before adding the filling.
- Bake on a baking sheet: place your quiche on top of a baking sheet if you are afraid of spilling due to an unstable disposable pie dish or just want a more stable surface for transferring it to the oven.
- Storage: cooked quiche will last up to 3-4 days in the refrigerator stored in an airtight container. Reheat 5 minutes in the toaster oven or 1 minute in the microwave.
What to Serve with Vegan Spinach Quiche
There are so many delicious sides that you can pair with this easy vegan quiche recipe when cooking for friends or a Mother’s Day brunch. The simplest options are some toast and fresh fruit. If you want to try a few other side dish options, here are my favorites! (You can also check out my 30+ vegan brunch recipes roundup!)
- Sip on a smoothie with a slice of quiche: mango pineapple smoothie, pear smoothie, lemon raspberry smoothie.
- Baked goods to serve with your quiche at brunch: chocolate walnut banana bread, double chocolate banana muffins, vegan lemon loaf cake.
- Drinks to serve with your quiche: carrot ginger juice, blender beet juice, ginger zinger green juice, vegan peppermint hot chocolate.
- Pair it with a salad: blueberry summer kale salad, peach and tomato panzanella salad, summer peach salad with grilled corn, spinach strawberry salad with lemon poppyseed dressing.
Yes! You can use frozen spinach instead of fresh in this recipe. Simply thaw 1/2 (10 oz) package of frozen spinach according to package directions. Add to the bowl with the sautéed peppers, Just Egg, and black salt – no need to cook it in the skillet.
Instead of eggs, vegan quiche can be made out of tofu (the firmness depends on the recipe) OR a plant-based egg produce like JUST Egg like this recipe.
Make a crustless quiche by simply pouring all of your quiche ingredients into a greased pie pan and bake as directed according to the recipe.
More Breakfast Recipes You’ll Love
- Vegan Breakfast Burritos with Tofu Scramble
- Healthy Chocolate Oatmeal
- Chocolate Chia Seed Pudding
- Carrot Cake Oatmeal
- Berry Protein Smoothie (Vegan)
Did you love this recipe? Make sure to leave a ⭐️ rating and tag #dietitiandebbie on instagram!
Vegan Spinach Quiche (with Just Egg)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Add the olive oil, red pepper, and onion to a skillet over medium-high heat. Saute until onion is translucent and tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add the chopped fresh spinach and sauté until wilted, about 2-3 minutes.
- In a bowl, add the sautéed veggies, black salt, Just Egg, and cheese. Stir to combine and then pour into the pie crust.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes or until center of the quiche is set and top is lightly golden brown. Allow to sit for 5-10 minutes before slicing.
- Bake your quiche on a baking sheet to make it easier to transfer in and out of the oven.
- Try different filling options based on what you like! Try: chopped vegan sausage, vegan bacon, cherry tomatoes, broccoli, vegan mozzarella, pesto, etc.
- Store leftover quiche in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3-4 days. Reheat in a toaster oven or microwave.