A simple but stunning side dish, these roasted cauliflower steaks are seasoned with salt, pepper, and garlic and baked until tender in the oven. Dress them up with a spoonful or two of vegan pesto to serve.
If you follow me on Instagram, you may have seen Will and I making these cauliflower steaks on my stories. They are so good, I needed to share them here too! These roasted cauliflower steaks have become a favorite go-to side dish for our dinner meals during the week since they need so little hands-on prep.
After you cut your cauliflower into steaks and brush them with oil, they get roasted in the oven which leaves you time to prep the rest of dinner. Typically, we serve these as a side with some vegan sausage and couscous or roasted potato. Mmmm!
How to Cut Cauliflower Steaks
Figuring out how to cut the cauliflower into steaks is probably the most intimidating part of this recipe, but I promise it is easy! You’ll definitely want a large chef’s knife and a sturdy cutting board for this step.
- Trim any green, inedible leaves from the cauliflower.
- Carefully trim any excess stem but try to leave most of the stem intact as this helps hold the cauliflower steaks together.
- Cut cauliflower in half down the center. Then cut into thick 1 1/2″ slices moving from the center cut outwards. These center pieces are the best “steaks” since the stem helps hold the floret together.
- We usually get about 3-4 “steaks” per head of cauliflower.
- Slice up the extra pieces and add them to the sheet pan to roast with your steaks or save them for another dish like cauliflower rice.
Cauliflower Steak Seasoning and Sauce Options
We tend to keep it very simple with just salt, pepper, and garlic powder to season before roasting. However, we have also enjoyed other options like curry powder, lemon pepper, and Italian seasoning. You’ll want to use about 1-2 teaspoons of any of these alternatives on your cauliflower steaks. Dress it up with a tasty sauce or vegan pesto. This roasted red pepper sauce/marinade would be quite tasty on cauliflower steaks!
Looking for more cauliflower recipes?
- Healthy One-Pot Cauliflower Curry
- Roasted Cauliflower, Feta, and Lentil Salad
- Cauliflower Fried Rice with Tofu
- Curry Roasted Vegetables
- Cauliflower Shawarma Hummus Bowls
- Baked Parmesan Crusted Cauliflower
Did you love this recipe? Make sure to leave a ⭐️ rating and tag #dietitiandebbie on instagram!
Roasted Cauliflower Steaks
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit and line baking sheet with silpat mat. If you don’t have a mat, just grease your pan with a little extra olive oil.
- Trim any green, inedible leaves from cauliflower and carefully trim any excess stem. Try to leave most of the stem intact as this helps hold the cauliflower steaks together.
- Cut cauliflower in half down the center. Then cut into thick 1 1/2″ slices moving outwards from the center. We usually get about 3-4 “steaks” per head of cauliflower. The slices from the center of the head of the cauliflower are the best “steaks” as the stem helps hold the florets together in one piece. We slice up the extra pieces and add them to the sheet pan to roast as well.
- Arrange sliced cauliflower onto your baking sheet and brush with olive oil on both sides. Sprinkle with salt, pepper, and other seasonings as desired.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes and use a spatula to lift edge of cauliflower steak. Flip when bottom is starting to turn golden brown.
- Bake another 10-15 minutes on the second side or until cauliflower is tender when pierced with a fork.
- Serve with pesto.