Make this simple vegan chickpea chana masala at home with just a handful of pantry staples in just around 30 minutes with plenty of leftovers.
One thing that my foodie heart loves about living in a large city is the limitless options for delicious food from other cultures. One of my favorites is Indian because it is so vegetarian friendly and I love the heat of the spices they use.
Even if you don’t live in a large city where you have access to lots of options, many ethnic foods can be easily recreated at home. This vegan chickpea chana masala recipe is a perfect example of that. This dish is wholesome and filling and took me only about 30 minutes to make on the stovetop. Perfect for weeknight dinner!
What is Chana Masala?
Chana masala is a vegetarian dish that is popular in Northern India and is simple to make. Chopped onion is stir fried with spices and then simmered with tomatoes and chickpeas. Serve this dish over rice or scoop it up with pieces of naan.
I served mine over top of some cauliflower rice and a bit of fresh spinach. If you aren’t vegan, I found that a bit of crumbled feta cheese on top is also really tasty.
This dish is all about smoke and spice. Feel free to adjust the amount of cayenne in this to meet your tolerance for spice. If you aren’t feeling the heat, smoked paprika would be a tasty alternative to the cayenne!
More Curry Recipes You’ll Love
- Vegan Madras Curry
- Red Pepper Chickpea Curry
- Easy Tofu Pumpkin Curry
- Curry Chickpea Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
- Curry Chickpea Salad
Did you love this recipe? Make sure to leave a ⭐️ rating and tag #dietitiandebbie on instagram!
Vegan Chickpea Chana Masala
- 1 1/2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 yellow onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 teaspoons garam masala
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne Adjust per your spice preference
- 2 14.5 oz cans diced tomatoes
- 1 6 oz can tomato paste
- 1 1/2 inch piece fresh ginger minced
- 3 cups cooked chickpeas ~2 cans
- 1 13.5 oz can full fat coconut milk
- For Serving: brown rice cauliflower rice, or naan; fresh chopped cilantro; additional coconut milk or yogurt (if not vegan)
- In a large dutch oven, melt the coconut oil. Add onions and cook until translucent, ~5-7 minutes.
- Stir in the garlic, garam masala, turmeric, and cumin. Cook for 1-2 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add the tomatoes, tomato paste, and ginger. Stir well to combine.
- Stir in the chickpeas and bring to a simmer. Add the chickpeas and coconut milk. Cook another 5-7 minutes.