One thing that I love about Will is that he is so passionate about good cheese. Pre-shredded cheese is unheard of in our house! One of our favorite stands at the Logan Square farmer’s market over the summer is always the cheese one. In fact, we bought so much each week, they knew us by name just a few weeks into the summer. Ha!
These chipotle, cheddar, and butternut squash quesadillas are my spin on your typical cheddar and chicken quesadilla. They would be a great vegetarian-friendly addition to your Superbowl party eats. (Since I know the vegetarian options are usually pretty slim…)
Also, if you are a fan of chipotle or you need to use up the rest of your can of chipotles in adobo sauce, you’ll love these recipes: Chipotle Tempeh Tacos with Black Bean Salsa and Avocado Crema, chipotle chili, or Chipotle Tofu and Sweet Potato Skillet.
If you are hosting the party for the game this year, make up a batch or two of these quesadillas and you’ll be able to squeeze in just a few vegetables along side all the cheese dips and chicken wings! I went with the oven roasted method for cooking up the butternut, but you could also do it on the stovetop. Check out these helpful directions from The Pioneer Woman for stovetop cooking.
Also, this recipe doesn’t use up a whole butternut squash so save the leftovers to use in another recipe like this delicious buckwheat kale salad with citrus yogurt dressing.
More Tex Mex Recipes You’ll Love
- Mushroom and Sweet Potato Tacos
- Easy Vegan Taco Skillet
- Vegan Breakfast Burritos with Tofu Scramble
- Tempeh Taco Salad
- Vegetarian Grilled Fajitas
Did you love this recipe? Make sure to leave a ⭐️ rating and tag #dietitiandebbie on instagram!
Chipotle, Cheddar, and Butternut Squash Quesadillas
- 1/2 butternut squash cubed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Dash sea salt and ground black pepper
- 3 10″ wheat tortillas
- 1 1/2 cup pinto beans ~One 15 oz. can
- 1-2 individual canned chipotle peppers chopped
- 2 tablespoons canned chipotle sauce
- 2 handfuls fresh spinach leaves
- 2 cup shredded extra sharp yellow cheddar
- Salsa and sour cream for serving
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Peel and cut butternut squash into 1/3-1/2″ pieces. Toss in olive oil, salt and pepper. Spread into a single layer on a baking sheet and bake ~25-30 minutes or until lightly browned and tender. Set aside.
- Pour pinto beans into a bowl and stir in chipotle sauce and mash mixture with a fork or potato masher until most of the beans are broken apart and mixture is spreadable.
- To assemble quesadillas, arrange 1/3 of the bean mixture, ~1/4 cup cubed butternut squash, 1/2 cup spinach, and 2/3 cup of cheese on one half of a tortilla. Fold tortilla in half.
- Spray a nonstick skillet with cooking oil. Gently slide folded tortilla onto skillet and heat over medium low heat until bottom is lightly browned. Flip tortilla over and repeat on the other side until lightly browned and cheese is melted.
- Serve with salsa and sour cream.
[inlinkz_linkup id=482636 mode=1]