Loaded baked sweet potatoes are one of my go-to meals when I am not really in the mood to cook. You can really load them up with just about anything which is why I love them so much! Plus, sweet potatoes happen to have a lot of great nutrients like potassium, vitamin A, and vitamin B6.
My standard loaded sweet potato has black beans, sautéed spinach, avocado/guacamole, salsa, cheese, sour cream, and hot sauce. Last weekend, I was inspired to whip up a Mediterranean version and came up with these curry chickpea stuffed sweet potatoes.
I had the oven on since I was roasting up some other vegetables and roasted up a couple of potatoes as well. If I want to make this in less than 30 minutes, I’ll just microwave the potato.
My shopping list always includes sweet potatoes, spinach and beans so I am already halfway to making a meal like this one! I am currently obsessed with pomegranate and have been using them a lot in salads of late. I thought they would be a fun addition here since they pair well with other Mediterranean flavors.
The chopped pistachios were a last minute add-on, but I loved them! They add just a bit of crunch and really round out these potatoes. I just love meals like this one that are healthy and super simple. Healthy meals don’t have to take forever to make!
More Sweet Potato Recipes You’ll Love
- Spicy Asian Style Sweet Potato Noodles
- Vegan Loaded Sweet Potatoes
- Vegan Peanut Curry with Chickpeas and Sweet Potato
- Southwest Sheet Pan Dinner
- Vegan Black Bean and Sweet Potato Burritos
Did you love this recipe? Make sure to leave a ⭐️ rating and tag #dietitiandebbie on instagram!
Curry Chickpea Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
- For the Potatoes:2 sweet potatoes halved
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Salt and Black Pepper
- For the Chickpea/Spinach Filling:1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 can chickpeas drained
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 5 oz. bag baby spinach leaves
- Dash of salt and ground black pepper
- To Serve:Yogurt pomegranate seeds, chopped pistachios, cilantro, lime
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Slice sweet potatoes in half lengthwise. Rub with olive oil and arrange cut side down on a baking sheet. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Bake for 35-40 minutes or until tender when poked with a fork.
- OPTIONAL: You can also just cook the sweet potatoes in the microwave rather than roasting for faster prep.
- Add olive oil and chickpeas to a skillet. Stir in curry powder, smoked paprika, and garlic powder. Sauté for 5-7 minutes or until chickpeas are starting to lightly browned.
- Stri in the spinach and cook until wilted. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- To assemble, add 1 potato to a plate and add 1/2 of the chickpea/spinach mixture. Top with a dollop of plain yogurt, pomegranate seeds, pistachios, and cilantro. Serve with a lime wedge.