Looking for a healthy weeknight meal that is less than 10 ingredients? Look no farther than this vegan sausage and kale pasta! Two staples that we typically pick up every time we grocery shop are vegan sausage and pasta. With these two ingredients on hand, we can whip up a bunch of our favorite easy weeknight recipes like this sausage sheet pan meal or this burst tomato and spinach pasta.
How to Make Vegan Sausage and Kale Pasta
To make this simple vegan sausage and kale pasta you’ll first cook up your pasta in a medium size saucepan over high heat. While that is cooking, you’ll sautés your sausage in a large skillet with a little oil. Once it has started to brown, you’ll add in your kale and some canned tomatoes. By then, your pasta should be cooked so add that to the skillet with some basil and olives. Top it all off with some mozzarella OR a spinkle of my easy vegan parmesan.
- For a tasty vegetarian option, top this skillet with mozzarella cheese and place under the broiler for a couple of minutes until it melts and browns slightly. I made it this way yesterday and loved it!
- As for the sausage, there are many great vegan sausages available in the grocery store now. Some of my favorite brands include Field Roast and Tofurky.
- The recipe makes 4 servings, so our family of 2 had leftovers I can take to work with me tomorrow.
More Delicious Recipes You’ll Love
- Vegan Lasagna with Tofu Ricotta
- Lasagna Spaghetti Squash
- Vegan Baked Ziti
- Vegan Macaroni and Cheese with Broccoli
- Vegan Seitan and Mushrooms with Polenta
- Creamy Baked Red Pepper Penne Pasta
Vegan Sausage and Kale Pasta
- 2 cups whole grain pasta shells
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 vegan Italian sausages I used Tofurky, sliced
- 1 bunch kale stems removed and chopped
- 1 can (14.5 oz) fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 1/4 cup chopped kalamata olives
- Optional – vegetarian: 4 ounces mozzarella cheese, sliced or shredded
- Cook pasta according to package directions and set aside.
- In an oven-safe skillet with tall sides, add olive oil and sliced sausage. Stir fry for 2 minutes or until just starting to brown. Add the kale and cover, cook another 3 minutes.
- Remove lid and stir. Add the cooked pasta, tomatoes, basil, and olives. Cook for 5-7 minutes to heat everything well.
- For vegetarian option: sprinkle the mozzarella on top and place skillet under the broiler for 2-3 minutes, checking frequently until melted and just starting to brown. Serve immediately.