Put these tofu breakfast tacos with coconut bacon on your schedule for dinner tomorrow night for Taco Tuesday! The inspiration for these simple, yet delicious tacos came from a similar taco I had from the Vegan Nom taco truck in Austin, TX. Which is fitting for this month’s Recipe Redux theme for a vacation inspired recipe. Will and I were in Austin last year in October on our wedding road trip across the country. We stopped there for breakfast before driving to Albuquerque and I still crave those tacos. Of all the food we ate on the trip, those tacos were probably the most memorable!
Mine will never be quite as good as Vegan Nom’s but I feel like these are getting close. 😉 To make these, you’ll just need to stir fry some extra firm tofu and some black beans. (I use the same skillet to save on clean up!) Top with some baked coconut bacon and your favorite hot sauce, salsa, avocado, lime, cilantro… the more toppings, the better! When it comes to coconut bacon, I have had success using coconut chips from the brand, Dang, which I buy at Whole Foods. (Not sponsored, I just like their chips!) Look for the lightly salted, no sugar added ones for this recipe. Definitely don’t skip the bacon! If you want to save time or can’t find the ingredients for the coconut bacon, you can also try using a vegan bacon too. I like this Smart Bacon from Lightlife. (Also not sponsored!)Print
Switch up your taco Tuesday routine with these tasty tofu breakfast tacos with coconut bacon. You’ll be making them on repeat!
For the Coconut Bacon:
- 1 1/2 cups unsweetened coconut chips
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon liquid smoke
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
For the Tofu:
- 1 tablespoon olive or canola oil
- 15 oz. extra firm tofu, crumbled
- 1/8 teaspoon dried turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened almond milk
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- Salt and ground black pepper, to taste
For the Beans:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 (15 oz) can low sodium black beans
- 2 tablespoons salsa
- Tortillas, hot sauce, shredded cheese (choose dairy free cheese for vegan tacos), cilantro, avocado, sour cream
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a small mixing bowl, add the coconut bacon ingredients and toss well with a wooden spoon to coat the coconut chip in marinade. Spread evenly onto a baking sheet and bake for 10-12 minutes or until chips turn dark brown. (Watch closely in the last few minutes of baking to make sure they do not burn!) Lay chips on cooling rack until cool.
- In a skillet, add the oil and tofu. Cook for 4-5 minutes or until edges of tofu begin to lightly brown. Stir in the seasonings, milk, and nutritional yeast. Cook another 2-3 minutes or until almond milk has evaporated. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer to a bowl.
- In the same skillet, add 1 tablespoon oil and garlic. Cook one minute and then add the black beans and salsa. Bring to a simmer and stir. Cook 5-6 minutes or until beans are warmed through and sauce begins to thicken.
- To assemble tacos, layer beans, tofu, bacon, and desired toppings into tortilla and serve.