Ahhh…. summer. Time to indulge in all kinds of frozen sweet treats like ice cream, popsicles, and frozen yogurt. Another frozen dessert to add to your list? Granita. This is frozen dessert in its simplest form. All you do is puree some fresh fruit with simple syrup and freeze. So easy! This dessert is perfect for those especially hot and humid days since you have to stand in front of the freezer every 20-30 minutes to break up the frozen puree. It’s a great way to cool off! Once your granita is ready, you’ll want to serve it the same day to keep it from firming up too much. It’s so good, I can’t imagine waiting that long anyway!
Unlike a bowl of ice cream, this refreshing granita won’t weigh you down. I think it’s one of my new favorite summer treats!Print
Cool off this summer with this delightfully simple, yet elegant strawberry granita with pistachios and cream.
- 1 lb fresh strawberries
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 4 tablespoons coconut milk
- 1/3 cup pistachios
- Heat water over medium heat in a small saucepan. Stir in sugar and cook until sugar dissolves. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Wash strawberries, remove the green tops, and cut in halves. Place in blender.
- Pour sugar water over berries in the blender and puree until smooth.
- Pour berry mixture into a 9″x13″ baking dish and place in the freezer.
- Every 20-30 minutes, run a fork through the berry mixture to break apart large frozen pieces. Repeat the process until berry mixture resembles a snow cone texture; about 2 hours.
- Divide puree into containers, top with coconut cream, and pistachios.