This creamy vegan tomato soup is super simple to make with a few pantry friendly ingredients like canned tomatoes, coconut milk, and onion. Perfect for a chilly weeknight!
It’s winter, there’s snow on the ground… it’s time to cozy up to some cold weather favorites like this easy vegan creamy tomato soup! I love making up a big batch of soup on the weekend so that I have an easy lunch option during the week.
Tips for Making this Soup
- Fire Roasted Canned Tomatoes: Splurge a little on your canned tomatoes and buy the highest quality ones you can find at the store since these are the primary ingredient in this soup. I really like the fire roasted ones from Muir Glen.
- Coconut Milk: This adds the rich creaminess that you would normally get from heavy cream in a traditional tomato soup. You can’t taste the coconut in the finished soup – don’t worry!
- Italian Seasoning and Oregano: I use dried herbs in this recipe, but you can substitute fresh ones if you prefer. Basil would also be great – just sub for the oregano.
- Onion and Bell Pepper: I like adding in a red bell pepper as it adds a hint of sweetness to the soup.
- Maple Syrup: Speaking of sweetness, adding just a little bit of maple syrup or a pinch of sugar to the finished soup helps balance out the acidity of the tomatoes.
Can you freeze tomato soup?
Yes! This vegan creamy tomato soup freezes well! Just defrost in the microwave using the defrost setting or add to a saucepan to reheat over the stove.
- Grilled cheese: nothing more classic than tomato soup and grilled cheese. Since going vegan, I use ingredients to assemble THE BEST plant-based grilled cheese: Miyokos butter on the bread for grilling, VioLife vegan shredded mozzarella for the cheese, and a couple dollops of Gotham Greens vegan pesto.
- Ravioli: make it more of a meal and toss in some cooked ravioli to serve. More a plant-based/dairy free ravioli option, I really like Kite Hill’s spinach ravioli!
More Soup Recipes to Try:
Creamy Vegan Tomato Soup
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 red bell pepper chopped
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 2 28 oz cans fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 1 13.5 oz can full fat coconut milk
- Salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 1/2-1 teaspoon maple syrup
- Add the oil, onion, and bell pepper to a stock pot and sauté until onion is translucent.
- Stir in the garlic, Italian seasoning, and oregano. Cook another minute.
- Add the tomatoes and coconut milk and bring to a simmer.
- Transfer to a blender (you may need to work in batches) and puree until smooth.
- Pour back into the stock pot over low heat. Stir in the salt and ground black pepper, adjusting to taste.
- Add the maple syrup (to cut the acidity).