You guys, I have been crushing hard on BBQ tempeh these days! I can’t take full credit for this recipe since Will made something very similar for dinner the other night. I just loved it so much I created a vegan version to share with all of you. In fact, I can see myself making variations on this bowl all summer long. The tempeh and sweet potato share the same baking sheet in the oven, while the kale gets a quick stir fry on the stove top. If you don’t want to turn on your oven, you can easily make everything on the stovetop too. (See notes in the recipe below for the how-to!) For fun, I added some sliced pickled okra we picked up on a whim from Whole Foods – totally unnecessary, but are definitely delicious in this bowl!
Speaking of summer, even though Will and I don’t have any big plans, I am excited for another summer in the city. The Green City Farmer’s Market moved outdoors last weekend and I am can’t wait to start shopping there again. We look quite comical on our city bikes with huge bags loaded with produce after our shopping trips there. (I’ve biked back to our apartment with a plume of leafy greens sticking out of the top of my bag on many occasions!) Also, patio season in Chicago is awesome – the list of awesome restaurants to try literally never ends. I haven’t taken advantage of the lake front beach yet as much as I’d like either – can’t wait! Do any of you have big plans for summer?
- 2 sweet potatoes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil (divided)
- Salt and Black Pepper, to taste
- 1 (8 oz.) package tempeh
- ½ cup barbecue sauce
- 1 bunch kale
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- Salt and ground black pepper, to taste
- Vegan ranch dressing
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Cut sweet potatoes into small cubes and toss in 1 tablespoon of the olive oil. Transfer to baking sheet and spread into single layer. Sprinkle with salt and black pepper.
- Cut tempeh into triangles and toss in the other 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Transfer to the game baking sheet as the sweet potatoes and bake for 20 minutes.
- Transfer tempeh to a bowl with barbecue sauce and toss to coat. Transfer back to the pan and bake another 15 minutes. Brushing extra sauce onto tempeh halfway through baking.
- While tempeh and potatoes are baking, cut stems from kale leaves and chop. Add olive oil to large stock pot and add kale. Cook until kale has wilted, about 5-7 minutes. Stir in the yeast, parsley, garlic, onion, salt, and pepper and cook another minute. Turn off the heat and set aside.
- To assemble bowls, divide potato, kale, and tempeh between 2 bowls. Drizzle with vegan ranch dressing.
To make the tempeh, stir fry tempeh with 1 tablespoon of oil in a skillet until golden brown, about 7-10 minutes. Stir in barbecue sauce until coated.