This delicious vegan carrot cake baked oatmeal recipe has all the warming spices and grated carrot you’d find in the classic dessert baked into a healthy breakfast. Baked oatmeal recipes like this one are my favorite for meal prepped healthy breakfasts for the week.
Since baked oatmeal has become such a meal prep staple for me, I have been having so much fun coming up with new flavor variations! This carrot cake baked oatmeal has quickly become one of my favorites. I love the combination of the cinnamon and nutmeg with the sweetness of the raisins and the crunchy walnuts. To serve, I just reheat it for a minute or two in the microwave and add a splash of milk.
Ingredients You’ll Need
- Oats: use old-fashioned oats for this recipe.
- Baking Powder: makes this baked oatmeal light like a cake.
- Spices (Cinnamon, Ginger, Nutmeg): all the best spices from carrot cake!
- Grated Carrot: use the small grater edge for finer grated carrots – they taste better this way!
- Soy Milk: plain, unsweetened is best. I prefer soy milk because it adds a bit more protein than other non-dairy milks.
- Maple Syrup: naturally sweetens this recipe.
- Flax Egg: helps bind these baked oats together into a cake-like texture.
- Vanilla Extract
- Walnuts: chopped pecans would also be great in this recipe.
- Raisins: feel free to omit if you don’t like raisins.
Step by Step Directions
It is so simple to put this carrot cake baked oatmeal recipe together. First, you’ll add your ground flax and water to a bowl to make a “flax egg”. This helps hold to oats together without using a regular egg since this recipe is vegan. After the flax has gelled, you’ll add the rest of your wet ingredients to the bowl and stir. In a separate bowl, combine your dry ingredients like the oats and leavening agents.
Next, you’ll combine the wet and dry ingredients together to form a batter. Stir in the walnuts and raisins.
Add your batter to a greased 8″x8″ baking dish and bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit. After baking, I like to let mine cool for about 10 minutes on the counter. I find that it holds together better when slicing once it has had a chance to cool off a bit.
To make the pretty glaze on top, I just added some vegan vanilla yogurt to a ziplock bag and snipped off a little bit of one corner to make it into a piping bag. (I used Kite Hill vanilla yogurt and it was perfect! Added just a bit of sweetness.) I then just drizzled it into a zigzag pattern on top. You could also add some shredded coconut!
How to Store and Freeze
Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. You can also slice it and freeze it in a container with parchment paper between the slices. When ready to eat, just reheat the baked oatmeal for a couple of minutes in the microwave until warm. It is just as good reheated, so you can easily make this ahead of time!
More Oat Recipes You’ll Love
- Banana Bread Baked Oatmeal
- Pumpkin Baked Oatmeal
- Healthy Vegan Breakfast Cookies
- Super Seedy Granola
- Protein Overnight Oats
Carrot Cake Baked Oatmeal
- 2 tablespoons ground flax seeds
- 5 tablespoons warm water
- 1 1/2 cups plain unsweetened soy milk (or preferred non-dairy milk)
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 cup peeled and grated carrot
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups old fashioned oats
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/3 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/3 cup raisins
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Spray 8"x8 baking dish with oil.
- Combine flax seeds and water in large mixing bowl and let sit for 5 minutes to gel.
- To the same bowl, add the milk, maple syrup, carrot, oil, and vanilla. Stir well.
- In a small mixing bowl, add the oats, baking powder, sea salt, cinnamon, ginger, and nutmeg. Stir and then add to the wet ingredients and stir again.
- Add the walnuts and raisins and stir to distribute through batter. Pour batter into baking dish and bake for 40-45 minutes or until golden brown and firm.
- Allow to cool for at least 10 minutes before slicing. To serve, drizzle with vegan vanilla yogurt if desired.