This mocha banana bread is a tasty twist on your traditional banana bread with richness of dark chocolate and coffee. Serve warm spread with peanut butter.
Will and I are moving the last weekend of this month and I spent the weekend testing recipes to further procrastinate from packing. At least I was still being productive! I have some recipes that I am really excited to share with you all over the next week.
I think the upcoming move is stressing me out more than I realized because the next few recipes are total comfort foods – ie. pizza and nachos. 😉 I am actually excited about our new place which will be within walking distance of our favorite farmer’s market and restaurants. I just dread the actual moving part. Ugh.
Speaking of procrastinating, this bread is also a great excuse to put off your to-do list just a little longer. I mean, who doesn’t find tackling their to-do list a little easier with a cup of coffee and a slice of this bread in hand? This mocha banana bread incorporates all of my favorites: coconut, chocolate, and coffee in one delicious recipe.
We had a couple of extra ripe bananas hanging out on our counter so I was inspired to adapt my previous banana bread recipe to incorporate even more chocolate and coffee flavor.
If you are a fan of extra dark chocolate (like me!), you’ll also love this bread because it isn’t super sweet and has that same rich chocolate flavor.
To serve, I usually toast this bread for just under a minute in our toaster oven to warm it up and get the chocolate chips inside all gooey again. I’ll then top it with a bit of almond or peanut butter for the ultimate treat and pair it with a this honey coconut latte.
More Bread & Muffin Recipes You’ll Love
- Chocolate Walnut Banana Bread
- Double Chocolate Zucchini Muffins
- Vegan Lemon Loaf
- Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins
- Banana Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Muffins
Did you love this recipe? Make sure to leave a ⭐️ rating and tag #dietitiandebbie on instagram!
Mocha Banana Bread
- 1 3/4 cup white whole wheat flour
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 tablespoon instant espresso powder
- 3 extra ripe bananas ~1 heaping cup mashed
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup canola or coconut oil
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup almond milk
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened shredded coconut
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a bread pan with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, salt, and espresso powder. Mix with a whisk to combine.
- In a small bowl, mash the bananas with a fork.
- Add the bananas, vanilla, oil, eggs, milk, and maple syrup into the mixing bowl with the dry ingredients. Stir with a wooden spoon just until all the dry ingredients are incorporated. Don’t over stir.
- Sprinkle in the chocolate chips, reserving a few for the top of the bread. Stir until evenly distributed in the batter.
- Pour the batter into the bread pan and sprinkle with reserved chocolate chips and coconut.
- Bake for 55-60 minutes or until toothpick inserted into the top of the loaf comes out clean.
- Allow to cool in the pan for 10 minutes then transfer out of the pan to a baking rack to cool completely before slicing.