These peanut butter banana oatmeal bars are a delicious treat that is perfect for snacking. A yummy, vegan and gluten free snack that is super simple to whip up with <10 pantry-friendly ingredients that the entire family will enjoy.
This post was originally published March 2014; updated March 2023.
Looking for a new healthy snack recipe? These peanut butter banana oatmeal bars are a family favorite! All you need to recreate this easy snack or quick breakfast is a handful of healthy ingredients like peanut butter, banana, and rolled oats. You’ll probably want to make a double batch. 😋
If you want a similar recipe that is no bake, you’ll love these no bake chocolate peanut butter bars. In case you love peanut butter just as much as I do, be sure to check out my roundup of vegan peanut butter recipes!
Why You’ll Love this Recipe
- A yummy, family friendly snack or healthy breakfast with whole grains that can be mixed together in just 5 minutes.
- With less than 10 simple ingredients, you probably have everything you need to make a batch right now! I love having them on hand as a grab and go workout snack.
- These healthy oatmeal bars are vegan, dairy free, egg free, and gluten free (when using certified gluten-free oats).
Ingredients You’ll Need
- Bananas: you’ll need three bananas for these peanut butter oatmeal bars. For sweeter bars, use extra ripe bananas. Bananas that are more ripe also mash better which is helpful for this recipe.
- Oats: I like the texture of old-fashioned oats for this delicious recipe. I haven’t made it with quick oats, but I think it should work. You just want to avoid using steel cut oats.
- Peanut Butter: peanut butter and banana are one of my favorite combos. The creamy peanut butter here adds some flavor as well helping to bind to dough together since we aren’t using any eggs in this vegan recipe. Crunchy peanut butter and well stirred natural peanut butter also work in this recipe.
- Maple Syrup: adds natural sweetness to these bars.
- Baking Powder: gives these bars just a little bit of lift.
- Chocolate Chips: I like to use dark chocolate chips or the mini semi-sweet chocolate chips from Enjoy Life. You can use any favorite vegan chocolate chips you have on hand. Don’t have chocolate chips? You could also add nuts, dried fruit, or pumpkin seeds instead.
Step by Step
Step One: Add your bananas to a large mixing bowl and mash well with a fork or a handheld mixer.
Step Two: Add the rest of the ingredients to the large bowl with the mashed bananas and stir well to combine.
Step Three: Transfer the batter to an 8×8 inch baking dish lined with parchment paper. (Spray well with cooking spray if not in using parchment.) Bake for 25-30 minutes at 350 degrees Fahrenheit until golden brown and firm.
Step Four: Allow the cooked bars to cool completely before cutting. (For neater cuts, chill in the fridge before cutting into pieces.) Store these peanut butter banana bars in an airtight container in the fridge or freezer.
- Use extra ripe bananas: kind of like banana bread, using overripe bananas is best for this recipe since they mash better and add more sweetness.
- Line your baking dish with parchment: to make it easier to cut and store these bars, I like to line my baking pan with parchment paper so I can then just lift the bars out of the pan with the paper once cool.
- Allow to cool completely: allow these oatmeal breakfast bars to cool completely before cutting them or else they will crumble a bit.
Yes! This bar recipe also works well with almond butter or cashew butter.
Yes! These peanut butter banana oatmeal bars are a great option for a healthy snack on the go. They are made with wholesome ingredients and provide fiber and healthy fats.
Yes! Just scoop the dough onto a baking sheet and reduce the baking time to about 10-15 minutes at 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
More Snack Recipes You’ll Love
- Chocolate Chip Banana Oatmeal Muffins (Vegan)
- Vegan Pigs in a Blanket
- Chunky Grain Free Granola
- Peanut Butter Cookie Dough Bites
- Mango Lime Popsicles
Did you love this recipe? Make sure to leave a ⭐️ rating and tag #dietitiandebbie on instagram!
Peanut Butter Banana Oatmeal Bars
- 3 very ripe bananas
- 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 2 1/4 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 2/3 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a large bowl, mash bananas with a fork until you have worked out any lumps.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and stir to combine.
- Line an 8" x 8" baking dish with parchment paper. Press the oat mixture into the pan into an even layer.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes. Set on a wire rack to cool. Once bars are completely cool, cut into single serving pieces.
- Storage: Store baked bars in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 1 week. Store for up to 3 months in the freezer.
- Peanut butter: if using natural peanut butter, make sure to stir it well. Crunchy peanut butter will also work well.
Make this recipe?
Share it with me on Instagram @dietitiandebbie and tag me #dietitiandebbie
Comments & Reviews
Sarah McCarthy says
Anyway I could get the nutritional information on this recipe?
Deborah Murphy MS, RDN says
I just added the nutrition information to the recipe card above.