Looking for what to serve for a vegan Thanksgiving dinner? In this post, we’ve rounded up a ton of delicious vegan recipes for everything from appetizers, salads, sides, mains, and desserts.
Post originally published November 2018; updated November 2023.
As a foodie, Thanksgiving is definitely one of my favorite holidays! However, as someone who is vegetarian or vegan, your options for Thanksgiving dinner can be limited sometimes when eating as a guest for dinner. Don’t let your friends/family resort to sides for dinner! I’ve got plenty of the best vegan Thanksgiving recipes for those hosting Thanksgiving dinner with plant-based friends or family.
What Thanksgiving Food is Vegan?
This one definitely depends on how you prepare a lot of the traditional Thanksgiving foods, but here is a run-down:
- Cranberry Sauce: Most canned cranberry sauces (even the “jellied” ones) are vegan. Double check the label to make sure it doesn’t contain gelatin. Some popular brands like Ocean Spray are gelatin free as the pectin naturally contained in cranberries creates the jellied texture.
- Roasted Veggies: Unless there is butter or cheese added, you can enjoy roasted veggies as a vegan side dish.
- Salad (Sometimes): A lot of favorite salads for thanksgiving are made with vinaigrettes that easily be made vegan. Serve without cheese and you have a tasty addition to your vegan Thanksgiving.
How to Make Traditional Thanksgiving Sides Vegan
Since there is not a lot of options on the table normally for vegans, here are a few family favorite Thanksgiving recipes that can be made vegan with just a few tweaks.
- Mashed Potatoes: use vegan butter and unsweetened, plain non-dairy milk to make the mashed potatoes.
- Stuffing: use vegetable broth and an egg substitute. If you like sausage in your stuffing, use a plant-based sausage instead.
- Sweet Potato Casserole: use vegan butter and swap the marshmallow topping for a pecan one.
- Green Bean Casserole: use a vegan cream of mushroom soup.
- Rolls: make the rolls with a non-dairy milk and serve with vegan butter. Depending on the type of roll, skip the egg white wash.
What Do I Serve My Vegan/Vegetarian Guest for Thanksgiving?
There are so many delicious options! As far as entrees go, when you aren’t limited to roasted turkey, the options are endless. Our favorite is this seitan roast from the blog, but I’ve given you many other suggestions below. Don’t want to have to cook something from scratch? There are lots of great store-bought entree options that you can basically just reheat.